College of Engineering professor earns prestigious honor as ASEE fellow

<p>Craig Gunn, senior academic specialist in the MSU Department of Mechanical Engineering. Photo courtesy of MSU.</p>

Craig Gunn, senior academic specialist in the MSU Department of Mechanical Engineering. Photo courtesy of MSU.

There is something to be said about the faculty members on staff at MSU. For some professors, one has to take great pride in their profession and the work they do. Senior academic specialist Craig Gunn is one of those instructors. A lifelong engineering instructor, Gunn was named a 2017 Fellow of the American Society for Engineering Education, or ASEE.

A prestigious honor, Gunn’s persistent effort in the department was graced with reward.

ASEE is a nonprofit organization that helps educate others in the engineering field.

The award is only offered to a tenth of 1 percent of the ASEE membership each year. It is presented to those who are the best of the best among engineering-related areas.

ASEE introduced the honor to the 11 new fellows during its 124th annual conference, held in Columbus, Ohio from June 25-28.

Gunn’s career has been spotted with a number of awards. In 2008, he was presented with the Alvah K. Borman award from ASEE’s Cooperative and Experiential Education Division for contributions to the promotion and practice of cooperative education in engineering and technology. 

He has also received the Michigan State University Distinguished Academic Staff Award and the Withrow Academic Staff Service Award from the College of Engineering. 

In the past two years, Gunn is not alone in receiving the award as a Spartan. In 2015, Daina Briedis, associate professor and assistant dean of student advancement, also became an ASEE fellow.

Well-liked by both his students and fellow faculty alike, Gunn has been a Spartan all throughout his educational background. He received a B.A. in 1971, an M.A. in 1982 and a Ph.D in 1991 all in English, all obtained at MSU.

Gunn is no stranger to extending a helping hand. Being a veteran faculty member since 1986 and achieving several awards, this accomplishment is another honor for the academic specialist.

“Being the recipient of this award is incredible,” Gunn said. "Going forward, this honor will hopefully give me the recognition to further the engineering department and make it even more great. I have lots of ideas to enhance the student's experience. It is gratifying to share a passion of mine with students that yearn to learn. This experience has been rewarding and I could not be happier."

James Klausner currently serves as the Chair of Mechanical Engineering. Klausner said being on staff with Gunn for over a year has allowed him to gain a sense of the drive and passion that Gunn holds for engineering.

“ASEE is a professional society to promote the development and enhancement of engineering education across the country," Klausner said. "Being that Craig Gunn is a teaching specialist in the department, as well as his creative input into integrative learning, gives him all the reason to be the recipient.”

“He has been an innovator in the engineering education for a number of years. It is a very prestigious award to be recognized by the society."

Share and discuss “College of Engineering professor earns prestigious honor as ASEE fellow” on social media.