Saturday, September 21, 2024

East Lansing yet to be served in federal lawsuit involving farmer's market

<p>East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas gives a speech during East Lansing's Chief of Police Jeff Murphy's retirement ceremony on May 30, 2017 at East Lansing Hannah Community Center at 819 Abbot Rd. Murphy was honored for his 30 years of service with the East Lansing Police Department.</p>

East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas gives a speech during East Lansing's Chief of Police Jeff Murphy's retirement ceremony on May 30, 2017 at East Lansing Hannah Community Center at 819 Abbot Rd. Murphy was honored for his 30 years of service with the East Lansing Police Department.

The City of East Lansing has yet to be served in regards to a federal lawsuit filed by Alliance Defending Freedom lawyers on behalf of Country Mill owner Stephen Tennes, according to multiple city sources. 

Two weeks after a press conference was held to announce the lawsuit, neither City Manager George Lahanas nor City Clerk Marie Wicks have received any documents pertaining to the lawsuit, which alleges the city kept Tennes out of East Lansing's annual farmer’s market for his religious views on same-sex marriage. 

Wicks said the complaint filed by County Mill specifically states the city will be served by a private process server directly to her. 

“We haven’t gotten anything and I’ve checked around, I checked upstairs, finance, nobody took in a document,” Wicks said. “They know it’s supposed to come to me.”

MLive reported lawyers representing the Tennes family have filed for a preliminary injunction hearing to get the Tennes family reinstalled in the farmer’s market before the trial is over. 

But as the lawyers continue to file documents, the city has yet to see any of them.

“We don’t really accept services of a ton of lawsuits over here but I would think that it's unusual to put it out there and not serve,” Wicks said. 

Share and discuss “East Lansing yet to be served in federal lawsuit involving farmer's market” on social media.