Nassar faces more allegations, places third in Holt school board race
Amidst another sexual abuse lawsuit, this time pulling in the names of former national team coordinators Bela and Marta Karolyi into the pot, ex-MSU faculty member and former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar came in third place in a local election for Holt School Board.
The Indianapolis Star spearheaded the allegations against Nassar starting in September, and published the stories of two USA gymnasts who were allegedly sexually abused by him. Since then, similar allegations against doctor have poured in, resulting in ongoing investigations from the Michigan Attorney General and the FBI.
Nassar, who resides in Holt, Mich., was on the ballot to become a member of the Holt School Board as well. There were two seats open. Out of three candidates, Nassar lost, coming in third. He secured just more than 20 percent of the vote.
An unidentified plaintiff, who was a member of the Women’s National Team from 2006 to 2011 and the world team in 2010, put forth the newest allegations. They accused the Karolyis and USA Gymnastics leaders of ignoring the abuse subjected to the plaintiff. Nassar’s name is also in the suit, the Indianapolis Star reported.
In 2014 a complaint was filed against Nassar, which MSU investigated, and local prosecutors decided not to file charges. MSU spokesman Jason Cody told The State News on Sept. 20 that certain employment requirements were put on Nassar in 2014 after the investigation.
Cody confirmed on Sept. 20 Nassar’s employment through MSU had been terminated. He said Nassar “was not forthcoming when questioned about other previous allegations.”
On Sept. 28, The State News reported that according to MSU Police’s Clery Crime and Fire Log, at least 24 reported cases of sexual abuse occurred within places Nassar could have worked. The Indianapolis Star reported more than 30 cases were brought to their attention.
Since then, the reports that could be connected to Nassar on the MSUPD log have grown to 42. The State News has condensed the list.
Cody confirmed via text message that MSU is “waiting for the Attorney General’s office to make a decision.”
The office of the Michigan Attorney General could not be reached for comment on this story.