Saturday, May 18, 2024

University Student Commission offers campus a voice on city issues

Comparative culture & politics junior Cookie Rifiotis, center, speaks during a student commission meeting on Oct. 25, 2016 at East Lansing City Hall. Rifiotis currently serves as the chair of ASMSU.

The commission is comprised of 11 members representing different organizations on campus. The members, elected annually, meet 10 times a year to formulate opinions and recommend actions to council on ordinances that directly impact students in East Lansing.

Julia Porter, the Olin Health Center and student health advisory council representative, said the commission made recommendations on the recently passed marijuana use ordinance. In the future, they will be making recommendations on topics like non-conforming rental properties, which affects student housing, rushed early leasing and downtown development.

“We sort of act as liaisons between the university and the city of East Lansing,” Porter, a neuroscience junior, said.

Members of the city staff and council attend commission meetings, allowing for a discussion of ideas, strategizing for future issues and recommending ordinances directly to the council.

In general, Porter said the goal of the commission is to get as much of a student voice as possible in local government. However, each member has their own agenda of issues to focus on, from the recommendations of the group they represent.

“One particular goal I have as a party of the health advisory council was using our data to implement a city campaign to better the safety around East Lansing, especially at night,” Porter said.

Grace Carmichael, community relations coalition representative and co-chair of the commission, said her group wants to focus on downtown development this year.

“We kind of want to see the downtown area off campus thrive and change a bit,” Carmichael, an interdisciplinary studies in social science senior, said. “We’re a representative of student perspectives and resident perspectives, so we have both opinions. We found a lot of the residents and the students have the same opinions that we don’t want it to look like there’s nothing there, but they want something that will bring diversity to the downtown area.”

Carmichael said she sought out the position on the commission because it involves her with the city and government relations.

“It’s a cool place to be in where you provide a voice to students to the council that is ultimately making decisions in the city,” Carmichael said. “It’s a really cool dynamic.”

The University Student Commission benefits more than students. Councilmember Shanna Draheim said partnering with the commission helps her be more aware of student issues and opinions.

“I think the beauty of the student commission is that things that are pressing matters for students, they can and should always bring (issues) to the city and should partnering with us,” Draheim said. “I value what they bring forward as a voice for students today,”

Share and discuss “University Student Commission offers campus a voice on city issues” on social media.