Monday, October 7, 2024

MSU on pace to reduce occurred criminal sexual conduct incidents this year

<p>Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

MSU has averaged approximately 25 occurred criminal sexual conduct incidents annually since 2013, but has recorded 10 so far this year with a little more than three months left, according to MSU police.

Even with the decrease in occurred incidents, MSU police Capt. Doug Monette said the department takes sexual assault very seriously and the department investigate cases closely. 

"Michigan State University is in the forefront," he said. "We have created a Special Victims Unit that deals with these types of crimes. We are a community resource that many agencies reach out to for assistance with resources provided to victims, witnesses and the people associated with these kinds of crimes.”

MSU's efforts to assist victims of sexual assault go beyond the police force. 

“MSU has been emphasizing resources available to survivors through the new Title IX office as well as the mandatory online trainings for faculty, staff and students,” MSU Sexual Assault Program coordinator Tana Fedewa said via email. “Our Advocacy Coordinators help students navigate the criminal justice system and provide institutional and academic advocacy to sexual assault survivors." 

Resources for survivors are available on and off campus.

"We also provide 24-hour medical advocacy at Sparrow Hospital for survivors who seek a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) exam,” Fedewa said.

According to the Sparrow Hospital website, a sexual assault nurse examiner is "a registered nurse specially trained to provide care to sexual assault patients."

Fedewa said she believes it makes sense that more survivors would access these services as a result of increased awareness.

"That said, we do know students can be the victim of sexual assault at any time," she said via email. "The MSU Sexual Assault Program provides free individual and group counseling services to student survivors of sexual assault."

MSU Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention volunteer and psychology junior Makayla Starks said she still believes sexual assault at MSU is an issue with work to be done.

“I don’t think that the university is doing enough to prevent sexual assault," she said. "It’s kind of swept under the rug."

Share and discuss “MSU on pace to reduce occurred criminal sexual conduct incidents this year” on social media.