Sunday, September 22, 2024

First annual Downtown Welcome Dance coming to Ann Street Plaza

Residents who hear the thumping sounds of club music echoing downtown Saturday night can follow it to the Ann Street Plaza. The city of East Lansing will be hosting its first Downtown Welcome Dance on Sept. 10 from 7 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

City Councilmember Susan Woods said the dance is intended to bring students and East Lansing residents together. 

“I wanted the students especially, but everybody, to feel welcomed by the city of East Lansing," Woods said.

Woods said the free event will feature two DJs and the area will be lit up with special lighting and smoke.

The streets will be blocked off between M.A.C. Avenue and Grove Street from 6 p.m. to midnight.

Woods said supporters include local businesses such as the Student Book Store, The Peanut Barrel, Campus Corner, DTN Management and Community Resource Management Company.

"They really appreciate students and what they do for their town,” Woods said.

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, are among the dance's supporters. 

Alex Noffsinger, vice president of governmental affairs for ASMSU, said the organization is supporting the event to encourage students to venture off campus.

“One of our priorities in the governmental affairs department is trying to engage students in the city and community and bringing them over to the city, not just on Friday and Saturday nights, but all throughout the week,” Noffsinger said. “This is something that both parties are really into.”

Woods said she is unsure of how many people will attend, especially since this will be the event's first year.

“Whoever shows up is enough,” Woods said. “I’m hoping that we get a good crowd so you can have that feeling of everybody dancing like you do at a club."

Joshua Smalley, a manager at the El Azteco restaurant adjacent to Ann Street Plaza, said he is unsure how the dance to will affect business for the night.

“More of our crowd is adults, like the actual East Lansing residents rather than student business,"  Smalley said. "It might be bad for us or it might be really good for us. I guess it’s just something we’ll have to wait and see.”

Share and discuss “First annual Downtown Welcome Dance coming to Ann Street Plaza” on social media.