Sunday, May 12, 2024

Trump embroiled in controversy, Clinton gets closer to nomination

Hillary Clinton speaks with husband Bill Clinton and daughter Chelsea Clinton by her side in Ankeny, Iowa, on Monday, Feb. 1, 2016. Clinton narrowly defeated Sen. Bernie Sanders in Monday's Democratic Iowa caucus. (AftonbladetIBL/Zuma Press/TNS)

Republican Roundup:

Paul Ryan endorses Trump

Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan, voiced his endorsement for nominee Donald Trump on June 2, in a column written for his local paper. In the endorsement column, Ryan outlined more of the ideas he and the Republican party hoped to achieve rather than touting the benefits of a Trump presidency.

After a month of speculation over whether Ryan would endorse Trump, he wrote in the column that he needed to discuss policy with Trump before any endorsement was made. From those discussions he wrote this.

“Through these conversations, I feel confident he would help us turn the ideas in this agenda into laws to help improve people’s lives. That’s why I’ll be voting for him this fall.” Though he never did use the words endorse, voting for him he seems as such.

Trump attacks media

Trump lashed out at the media on May 31, calling a journalist a “sleaze bag” and saying that the journalists covering his campaign were “unbelievably dishonest.” He later added a Trump presidency would feature more attacks on the press.

The conference, called to explain Trumps work with American military veterans, steered from the path of showcasing his donations to attacks on the media. Trump lashed out at media after the Washington Post looked into whether or not Trump had donated the $6 million he said he raised for veterans groups.

Trump criticizes judge in Trump University cases about Mexican heritage

Faced with lawsuits over his Trump University, Trump questioned the fairness of the judge presiding over the case, saying the judge would be biased given his “Mexican heritage.” 

"He has also threatened a civil case against the judge if he becomes President, adding that because Judge Curiel is 'of Mexican heritage' he has “an inherent conflict of interest”” wrote the Wall Street Journal. Trump later discussed his questioning of the judge with CNN’s Jake Tapper, where he frequently went back to talking about the wall he planned to build on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Trump backs Renee Ellmers

Trump backed U.S. Representative Renee Ellmers of North Carolina, his first congressional endorsement. 

“I need her help in Washington so we can work together to defeat ISIS, secure our border and bring back jobs and frankly, so many other things,” Trump said in a phone message for her campaign according to the New York Times.

“Look at my African American over here."

“Oh, look at my African-American over here. Look at him," Trump recently remarked at a rally. 

The possessive “my” in the wording sparked a controversy over a freudian slip of racism. Though Gregory Cheadle, who says he was on the receiving end of Trump’s remarks, though the outrage over Trump's’ words were overblown.

Democratic Dispatch:

Clinton wins Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

After picking up wins in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, Hillary Clinton has gained another 40 delegates and three super delegates bringing her to the brink of clinching the Democratic nomination, only trailing by approximately 30 delegates.

Clinton edges closer to the nomination

With the largest amount of delegates on the line, a win for Clinton in California on June 7 would clinch her as the Democratic candidate.

California delegates are awarded proportionally, so even if Clinton were to fall to Sanders she would most likely garner the amount of delegates needed to clinch.

Currently, Clinton has 2,357 delegates and super delegates compared to Sanders’ 1,566, according to Real Clear Politics.

Sanders continues campaigning in California

California’s upcoming primary has Sanders preparing to get a much needed win in order to narrow the gap between his delegates and Clinton’s delegates.

Sanders’ will continue his campaign up to the Democratic convention, where he said, "The Democratic National Convention will be a contested convention," according to CNN.

Third parties

Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein hosted a rally in at the Berkeley Main Post Office on Friday in Berkeley, CA, where she discussed the upcoming California Primary.

Stein has shown support for Sanders throughout her own campaign, as she attempt to gather support for the Green party and her campaign.

Following their convention, the Libertarian party elected former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson as their candidate for the 2016 Presidential election.

In an interview with CNN’s “Fareed Zakaria GPS” program, Johnson said,“I’m trying to appeal to the majority of Americans whom I think are libertarian, it’s just that they don’t know it.”

The program aired on June 5.

Share and discuss “Trump embroiled in controversy, Clinton gets closer to nomination ” on social media.