MSU Paintball Club heads to national tournament

<p>Supply chain management sophomore Joe Lynch, photo courtesy of Unluckyphotos.&nbsp;</p>

Supply chain management sophomore Joe Lynch, photo courtesy of Unluckyphotos. 

The MSU Paintball Club is one of 50 teams that will compete in Kissimmee, Fla., for the National Collegiate Paintball Association, NCPA, annual national championship tournament from April 15-17.

The MSU Paintball Club will travel to the tournament with 11 players, six more than who made the trip to last year’s tournament.

In 2015, the teams’ play was cut short in the tournament after they tied with the University of Maryland. The tie gave them a 34th-place finish and eliminated the team from playoff contention. Only the top 32 teams move on to Sunday for playoffs.

Since the rebirth of the team in 2015, the team has taken strides to rebuild what was once a competitive organization.

Social relations and policy sophomore Kristian VanderWaerden said he has seen the club grow during the past year and has high hopes for the club’s future.

“I joined at the end of last year and I didn’t go to Florida, but you guys had five kind of members then and now we are at 12,"  VanderWaerden said. "Seeing us double in a year with serious, good players is something I want to keep going.”

The team currently has two fully-rostered lines and new sponsors that help fund the cost of travel, paint and other equipment.

For the first time, the MSU Paintball Club has received funding from the Associated Students of Michigan State University, and supply chain management sophomore Joe Lynch said this new funding has been “game-changing" for the team.

“The fact that we were given money from a university program allowed us to ... the whole team is outfitted with necessary gear now,” Lynch said.

This year only 50 percent of the team’s costs will be out of pocket, compared to 100 percent last year.

The funding they received covers the cost of team gear and the entry fee for the tournament.

Human biology senior Jackie Liao hopes to see the club grow by creating an environment that encourages new members to join regardless of their prior experience.

“We want new players to come play and we're trying to grow the sport. … We want the MSU Paintball Club to continue on after we all leave so they can keep playing and new members can continue the tradition,” Liao said.

Lynch said they are looking for all players regardless of skill level.

“You don’t have to play nationals, if you just want to come out and play a practice there is something for you here,” said Lynch.

Share and discuss “MSU Paintball Club heads to national tournament” on social media.