Sunday, May 5, 2024

Student wins talent show with poem about search for a woman

<p>Journalism sophomore Hakeem Weatherspoon performs his poetry during the talent show on March 16, 2016 at Hubbard Hall. Weatherspoon won first place at the talent show that was put on by the staff for Hubbard residents.</p>

Journalism sophomore Hakeem Weatherspoon performs his poetry during the talent show on March 16, 2016 at Hubbard Hall. Weatherspoon won first place at the talent show that was put on by the staff for Hubbard residents.

A sense of sincerity and passion fills the stage as journalism sophomore Hakeem Weatherspoon shares his poem about his search for a woman.

“When I was writing that poem, it’s about the perfect woman,” Weatherspoon said. “I dream about her, and when I wake up, she’s never there because I’ve never met her or crossed paths with her.”

Weatherspoon took a big step forward with his poetry when he shared his poem during a talent show at Hubbard Hall on March 16.The piece earned him first place and he was awarded a $50 Visa gift card.

“When I am able to see this woman and meet her, I don’t want to change nothing (anything) about her but her last name,” Weatherspoon said. “It’s like she’s my world, she’s a part of me. It’s like a soul tie that I’ve never met yet.”

Business freshman Yanna Gardner was an audience member who came to support Weatherspoon during his performance at Hubbard Hall. She said she was suprised by more talents than just Weatherspoon’s.

“A lot of people have many different talents that I didn’t know about,” Gardner said.

Weatherspoon said the poem about the perfect woman is based on a reoccurring dream. He also added music to his poem for dramatic effect.

“I’ve been writing all day, and I didn’t know what I wanted to say,” Weatherspoon said. “So I decided on some neutral poems, and that’s what provoked me to do my poetry and add some beats to it.”

Weatherspoon said he never expected to win the talent show.

“I didn’t think I was going to win (the Hubbard Hall talent show),” Weatherspoon said. “The whole time I believed that I was going to lose, seeing all the talented people here. I’m just glad everybody showed up together to have fun.”

Actuarial science sophomore Victor Ajeneza and a resident assistant in Hubbard Hall organized the event Weatherspoon took first place in and said the event provided Weatherspoon a chance to share his poetry talent as well as an opportunity for other students to share talents of their own.

Share and discuss “Student wins talent show with poem about search for a woman ” on social media.