Sunday, May 5, 2024

Wheelchair rugby team finds home at MSU and support from student

<p>Kinesiology junior&nbsp;Maddie Fisher tapes Andy Zimmer before practice on March 29, 2016 at Jenison Fieldhouse. Fisher volunteers for the Great Lakes Wheelchair Rugby club and helps facilitate practice and traveling for the team.</p>

Kinesiology junior Maddie Fisher tapes Andy Zimmer before practice on March 29, 2016 at Jenison Fieldhouse. Fisher volunteers for the Great Lakes Wheelchair Rugby club and helps facilitate practice and traveling for the team.

The members of one of only a few wheelchair rugby teams in Michigan agree kinesiology junior Madison Fisher is the glue of their team.

The team, called the Great Lakes Wheelchair Rugby Club, is made up of eight quadriplegic members. The team practices on MSU’s campus.

Fisher assists the members during games and practices in several ways.

“This is a really demanding role for an equipment person and it is not an easy job, but having someone on the bench like Madie is a blessing,” team president Andy Zimmer said. “Madie not only wants to be there and does a great job, but she worries about the things that we don’t have to worry about, and it makes our lives a lot easier and makes the sport a lot more enjoyable.”

Fisher said she has found the tasks she has taken on as a volunteer are becoming specific to wheelchair rugby.

“I retrieve the balls because the players don’t always catch them, and I tape up all of their hands and put bands around them,” Fisher said. “I also help with wheelchair transfers from day chairs to rugby chairs.”

Fisher also steps in when there aren’t enough players to perform the rugby drills during practices, sometimes even getting in a wheelchair with the players.

Fisher has also made it a priority to raise awareness for the sport of wheelchair rugby.

“I’ve done a couple of fundraisers for them in the community,” Fisher said. “I’ve made some videos and I’ve wrote articles. It’s all to spread awareness about wheelchair rugby, because it’s a really cool sport that is super intense and super fast-paced. I love watching it, and I think other people would like watching it, too.”

Fisher said the players she works with are bright-spirited and she has made it her mission to change how people view those with disabilities.

“My goal is to put a positive aspect on disabilities, and to show the community that ‘disability’ should not be a word that has a negative connotation with it,” Fisher said.

The Great Lakes Wheelchair Rugby Club has only been around for one year. Last weekend, the team qualified for the national competition, which will be in Texas.

The players are very thankful for Fisher, especially coach and MSU alumnus Eric Chase.

‘“I’ve never had a volunteer staff that has been more dedicated, excited and outgoing as Madie is for our sport,” Chase said. “We have other teams who are very jealous of her and what she does for our team. We wouldn’t have this team without her.”

Share and discuss “Wheelchair rugby team finds home at MSU and support from student” on social media.