Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show coming to Wharton Center

While many traditional fashion shows include little else but different variations of similar garments, the 2016 Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show will include pieces with unique and technical elements as well.

The show, presented by MSU's College of Arts and Letters, will be at the Wharton Center at 7 p.m. on March 4 and will run for approximately 90 minutes.

Director of the show, associate professor and Apparel and Textile Design program coordinator Theresa Winge said the show will involve some technical elements, including some designs with 3-D printed elements.

“Our work tends to be more conceptual, more dynamic," Winge said. "This year we saw a lot of high tech, a lot inter-media being used in the designs. So we’ll have designs that are illuminated."

This show will exhibit the work of MSU student designers of any age and any major.

"We actually have such amazing talent in this program that we think why limit it to just seniors?" Winge said. "We want to make sure that our freshmen, juniors and seniors should compete, too."

Likewise, there are also no guidelines as far as what kind of designs students could submit. It is an avant-garde fashion show, though, so designs must at least be of that style.

Winge, along with this year’s show consultant Rebecca Schuiling, started the fashion show when they joined the department five years ago.

To appear in the show, students submit their work to a jury composed of both staff and students.

The jury usually receives roughly 130-160 designs for review. This show will exhibit 79 designs by 30 designers.

“Selection happens solely based on its worthiness for a fashion show," Winge said. "Not all apparel should be seen on a fashion runway. No one wants to see a bunch of jeans and t-shirts going down the runway."

Those selected have the opportunity to choose their models from a model book and work with a stylist to pick hair and makeup for the models they choose.

At the show, designs will compete for awards including a concept award, innovation award, judges’ choice, best in show and a sustainability award.

The winners will be selected by two external judges, Paulina Petkoski and Tiff Devine. Petkoski is the founder of Playground Detroit and Devine is the senior menswear designer at Macy’s in New York City.

Apparel and textile design senior Michael Lemus, a four-time participant in the show, said the show is beneficial for preparing designers for their futures.

“A lot of what we’re trying to do in our major is trying to compete in shows and win competitions and stuff like that, and so it’s a really good indication of how to prepare for a show,” Lemus said.

After working in the industry herself before becoming a professor at MSU, Winge speaks highly of the opportunities it has to offer.

“I think the fashion industry is quite wonderful because it provides opportunities for more marginalized groups, like women and our gay community, that isn’t offered in other areas, and I think that’s really wonderful," Winge said. "Our glass ceiling is much higher in fashion than it is in other industries. Women can really exercise their creativity, their knowledge of STEM, so science, mathematics, engineering, technology.”

Share and discuss “Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show coming to Wharton Center ” on social media.