MSU's Pilipino American Student Society offers family-like atmosphere

A kuya, an ate and an ading translates to older and younger siblings from the language Tagalog, widely spoken in the Philippines. A kuya, an ate and an ading are also what all members of MSU's Pilipino American Student Society, or PASS, are given once they join. 

Journalism sophomore and publicity chair of the organization Emily Liebau said this is one way the club ensures its members connect. 

Liebau has been a part of PASS since her freshman year, but has known about the program since high school. 

"The goal of PASS is to really emphasize what it means to be a Filipino American," Liebau said. 

The society was established at MSU in 1991 and will celebrate its 25th anniversary this year. 

PASS is not just limited to Filipinos. The society welcomes any race and ethnicity to join, since the goal of the organization is to learn and embrace cultures all around. 

The program's current president is food science junior Maesee Lor, who is actually Hmong American, not Filipino. 

"Being a part of this organization has helped me so much," Lor said. "It has helped me really grow as a person. People don't realize how they're affected by the culture, Filipino or not. Just realizing that had made me want to give back in any way." 

Lor has been on the e-board of the society for three years. 

The program hosts different events to show support and highlight the accomplishments of the Filipino community. 

"I really like being able to have that connection through my college experience to my culture; being Filipino is really important to me," elementary education freshman Jan Mecano Mecano said. "I get to meet people that are not only Filipino but from other cultures and races as well. Plus, I've met some of my best friends through PASS." 

PASS's meetings are held at 7 p.m. Thursdays in the Vincent Chin Memorial Room in Holden Hall. Lor said he wanted one thing about the club to be clear.

"Join PASS if you're looking for close-knit family, want to get back to your roots or want to learn more about Filipino culture," Lor said. 

Share and discuss “MSU's Pilipino American Student Society offers family-like atmosphere” on social media.