Winner of Miss Black and Gold pageant looks to inspire women of color on campus

<p>Communications junior Makaila Marshall is crowned Miss Black and Gold by last year's winner, food industry management sophomore DaChana Blaydes, during the Miss Black and Gold beauty pageant put on by the Zelta Delta chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity on Nov. 13, 2015 at the Union. Six contestants competed for the title of Miss Black and Gold and the accompanying scholarship. </p>

Communications junior Makaila Marshall is crowned Miss Black and Gold by last year's winner, food industry management sophomore DaChana Blaydes, during the Miss Black and Gold beauty pageant put on by the Zelta Delta chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity on Nov. 13, 2015 at the Union. Six contestants competed for the title of Miss Black and Gold and the accompanying scholarship.

Photo by Catherine Ferland | The State News

On Friday, Nov. 13, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. hosted their 14th annual Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant.

The Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant is designed to recognize outstanding women in the MSU community.

The theme for this year's pageant was focused around the 1920s women's liberation movement. Six contestants were able to showcase their background stories and talents for the audience. 

Contestants were able to win awards for categories such as Miss Black, Miss Gold, Miss Congeniality, Miss Talent and the overall winner, Miss Black and Gold.

Communications junior Makaila Marshall stole the hearts of the audience members with her story and was crowned the overall winner.

From being bullied in the past, to her battle with depression and the love for her older brother with autism, audience members were able to get a glimpse of her life.

After winning, Marshall said she wants her story to inspire other women of color on campus.

“I believe that as black women, we need to share our story,” Marshall said. “When you can get across to someone like 'hey I’ve been through this too, look where I’m at today and you can get through it as well.'”

With her new title, Marshall plans to use it as a way to inspire more women on campus. She has made it a goal for herself to compliment at least one woman a day in order to encourage women to impact each other’s lives in positive ways.

“I really want to empower women and say whatever you may be going through, it’s okay and we can all stick together and we can get through this,” Marshall said.

Along with being a full time student, Marshall is also involved with organizations on campus like Minority Association of Pre-Medical students and The Child Life Organization for Spartan Students.

In addition, she is also working with psychology junior Natalie Tolbert, the Miss Gold winner, on forming a campus based organization about empowering women.

During the pageant, Marshall recited a poem titled “Dear Autism” for the talent portion about autism and the impact it has had in her life.

The poem revealed the seriousness of autism and the ways that the disorder has caused her brother to struggle and the affect that it has had on her family.

“My brother is my heart and he’s the reason why I am extremely involved in disabled community and he’s the reason why I want to advocate for people with disabilities,” Marshall said.

When she is done with school, Marshall has plans of becoming a developmental pediatrician so that she can diagnose children that have disorders such as autism.

“I want to continue to advocate for people with disabilities and continue to encourage women to be empowered, and to love yourself no matter what the case may be,” Marshall said.

Share and discuss “Winner of Miss Black and Gold pageant looks to inspire women of color on campus” on social media.