Hammocking club can't hang due to ban

<p>Advertising junior Hannah Tizedes works on tying hammocks to trees on Oct. 7, 2015, at the Fenner Nature Center, 2020 Mt. Hope Ave., in Lansing. The MSU Hammocking Club attempted to break the Guinness World Record for most consecutively stacked hammocks, but was shut down by park authorities. </p>

Advertising junior Hannah Tizedes works on tying hammocks to trees on Oct. 7, 2015, at the Fenner Nature Center, 2020 Mt. Hope Ave., in Lansing. The MSU Hammocking Club attempted to break the Guinness World Record for most consecutively stacked hammocks, but was shut down by park authorities.

With MSU’s ban on hammocking on campus, the Hammocking Club of MSU has been struggling just to participate in their favorite pastime.

Although the club isn’t giving up on hammocking, it still faces obstacles both on and off campus.

Hannah Tizedes, advertising junior and Chief of Public Relations for the club, said the club had about a dozen hammocks set up at the nature center when a park official asked them to stop.

“Basically we were setting up the hammocks, we brought a ladder out there,” Tizedes said. “We had like 12 hammocks up and had a couple people in them. We were getting there. Then a lady came out of nowhere and said, ‘We’re going to have to ask you to take those hammocks down.’ We were all so confused and completely caught off-guard. She told us it was a liability issue for the park and we’d have to get a permit.”

Hammocking is banned on campus for similar reasons. In addition to liability, MSU does not want to damage the trees.

Nia Chen, elementary education senior and Director of Student Affairs, said the club met with administration last year to try to work out a compromise, but ultimately nothing came of it.

“It’s been a challenge because (the administration) basically said the campus is technically an arboretum so they have to hold to those standards,” Chen said. “So they pretty much can’t do anything for us.”

But Alex Valigura, jazz education sophomore and President of the club, said he thinks other solutions can be reached. He said the university could set up hammock posts, make designated hammock areas or even have students sign waivers.

Tizedes said many students have become interested in the club because of the ban. She said more people come to the meetings when the ban is discussed and more so when a feature on the club appeared in the Wall Street Journal.

“People just think it’s crazy that hammocking is banned here,” Tizedes said. ”Freshmen always come here and they bring their hammocks because, who wouldn’t want to hammock here? It’s beautiful here. They’re just so disappointed when they can’t.”

Valigura said he and others in the club continue to hammock multiple times a week because it’s relaxing.

Share and discuss “Hammocking club can't hang due to ban” on social media.