Saturday, May 4, 2024

Stuffed giraffe becomes campus celebrity

<p>Media and information freshman Alec Comes poses for a portrait with "Schneebly" the Giraffe House Comedy Club mascot on Oct. 22, 2015 at the State News. Comes carries "Schneebly" around to advertise the club. </p>

Media and information freshman Alec Comes poses for a portrait with "Schneebly" the Giraffe House Comedy Club mascot on Oct. 22, 2015 at the State News. Comes carries "Schneebly" around to advertise the club.

He has a long neck and goes by the name of Schneebly.

The stuffed giraffe media and information freshman Alec Comes was carrying around campus is actually the mascot of the sketch comedy group, Giraffe House.

“I joined Giraffe House because I really like doing comedy,” Comes said. “I tried out and got on as a writer, and I like it there very much.”

A few weeks ago was “Giraffe Week” because it was the first time Giraffe House released videos this year. In order to get their name out, Comes paraded Schneebly the giraffe through campus.

Comes said in doing so, he received several comments and reactions from students.

“They stared at me for longer than usual, I got the thumbs up and people said hey man cool giraffe and I got stopped a few times to take pictures with people,” Comes said.

Schneebly and Comes even made the MSU Snapchat story multiple times. In the first Snapchat featured on the story, Comes made a joke: “I feel like Luke Skywalker and this is Yoda (as he points at Schneebly) except Yoda’s got a way longer neck.”

"I think Alec getting on the campus story so much is awesome! He’s basically campus famous...I hope that because of it, more people will know of Giraffe House and ​Telecasters as a whole."

The second Snap story featured was a video of Schneebly accompanying Comes in his Understanding Media class.

“I was really glad I picked that day to take Schneebly around,” Comes said.

The well-known skateboarding professor even received his 10 seconds of fame with Schneebly. Comes walked into class and assistant professor in the department of media and information Rabindra Ratan asked to see the giraffe.

“My first reaction was cháng jǐng lù (giraffe in Chinese),” Ratan said.

Ratan asked Comes to take a video of him skateboarding with the Giraffe.

“The students loved it and they said ‘prepare to be snap-chatted,’” Ratan said.

Emily Jin Hee Nichols, media and information senior and head producer of Giraffe House, said Schneebly has always been a great way to advertise and market Giraffe House and people love seeing him. She loves all the attention Comes and Schneebly have received.

“I think Alec getting on the campus story so much is awesome! He’s basically campus famous,” Nichols said. “I hope that because of it, more people will know of Giraffe House and Telecasters as a whole.”

Share and discuss “Stuffed giraffe becomes campus celebrity ” on social media.