State Senator's "yes means yes" legislation a step in the right direction for consent education

<p>Cutis Hertel Jr., D-East Lansing, poses for a photo Jan. 20, 2015, at the State of the State Address at the Capitol in Lansing, Michigan. Emily Nagle/The State News</p>

Cutis Hertel Jr., D-East Lansing, poses for a photo Jan. 20, 2015, at the State of the State Address at the Capitol in Lansing, Michigan. Emily Nagle/The State News

Photo by Emily Nagle | The State News

Given the recent statistics on sexual assault in the state of Michigan, Sen. Curtis Hertel Jr. (D-Meridian Township) continues to promote his “yes means yes” bill, SB 0512 within the Michigan Senate.

The bill requires Michigan high schools that teach sex education to include affirmative consent education in their curriculum. Although it will promote affirmative consent to teenagers, the bill fails to cure the epidemic on college campuses.

Hertel agrees the program should be added to college campuses, and sooner rather than later.

“On a college campus you are much more likely to get sexually assaulted as a freshman than you are as a junior,” Hertel said. “If we can get education out there in the front end of college, I really think we can change things.”

College campuses are one of the most dangerous places for an incoming freshman, with one in five women experiencing sexual assault during their time in college. We believe expanding the “yes means yes” bill to mandate sexual assault prevention education is the key to preventing sexual assault.

Hertel is adamant about this cause and holding perpetrators of sexual assault accountable as opposed to blaming the victim.

“Every single one of us knows someone that has been sexually assaulted whether we know it or not,” Hertel said.

We believe investing funds to educate university students on sexual assault can prevent crimes on college campuses.

While critics of Hertel’s bill claim the proposal overly-legislates sex, Hertel maintains his primary goal is education.

“The current laws seem to push blame toward the victim,” Hertel said. “I am just trying to protect all sides by teaching people to respect their partner.”

Hertel hopes to raise government spending on higher education, and promote sexual education throughout college campuses.

The State News Editorial Board believes this bill is a good first step in combatting sexual assault and increasing education about the issues that surround it. However, it is just that — a first step.

Share and discuss “State Senator's "yes means yes" legislation a step in the right direction for consent education ” on social media.