Sunday, September 22, 2024

E.L. residents raise concerns about Harrison Road construction project

Construction for the project taking place across Harrison Road from Breslin Center parking lots is slated to begin in August, but not without controversy. The MSU Board of Trustees is set to vote on the approval of the project Wednesday. A letter from the city of East Lansing voices the concerns of the Red Cedar Neighborhood Association and encourages the board to reconsider some of the details of the project.

The letter, which is signed by Mayor Nathan Triplett, Mayor Pro Tem Diane Goddeeris and the three councilmembers is dated June 9.

The basic concerns of the association and the city according to Liz Schweitzer, board member of the association and former mayor of East Lansing, have to do with the housing height. The concerned is with the construction of three-to-four story structures being built within 50 feet of backyards of homes.

The second concern the city and association voiced in the letter is that of traffic circulation. The letter raises the point that additional traffic will put more stress on an already busy Harrison Road and will almost certainly result in drivers cutting through the residential area in order to avoid the five traffic lights along Harrison and Trowbridge Roads. The impacts of traffic on game days and other event days at the Breslin will be even more profound according to the letter. The association would rather see traffic from new construction exited through the not as busy Kalamazoo Street.

Schweitzer said that many of the residential roads in the surrounding neighborhoods lack curbs and gutters, making the increase in traffic even more dangerous. Other concerns include tailgating events on game days.

"This is not a case of not-in-my-backyard,” Schweitzer said in a press release. “All we are asking is that the university work with the city and with its neighbors to address quality of life concerns regarding traffic, building height and tailgating in the development of this important project."

Schweitzer said the community has always had good relations with the university and that she is confident the voices of the association will be heard.

Jason Cody, senior communications manager for MSU, said the university has been in constant contact with the city of East Lansing and the association over the past 18 months regarding the project. The university is currently working on a response to the June 9 letter.

If the project were to continue as planned it would be finished in two phases. The first phase completed fall of 2016 and the second fall of 2017, according to Kat Cooper, director of communications for Residential Hospitality Services at MSU.

The project will cost $150 million and includes new single student and family apartments. It is described by Cooper as a multi-use urban space including community area for working out, a mail room and retail. Retail plans include implementing a Starbucks and produce store. There will also be event parking at the site and will include space for RHS, Ticket, housing and athletics offices.

Share and discuss “E.L. residents raise concerns about Harrison Road construction project ” on social media.