City Council approves extension of Wilson Road to support FRIB

A resolution related to the extension of Wilson Road was unanimously approved by the East Lansing City Council to be discussed and voted on at the June 16 meeting.

The resolution states the City of East Lansing is applying to MDOT for $5 million in order to fund the changes to Wilson Road.

Staff resource Tim Dempsey said the adoption of the resolution would be critical to the project’s completion.

According to the project’s memorandum, MSU can’t apply for the funds to complete the reconfiguration of Wilson Road, so the money would need to come from a grant.

The goal of the approved project would be to extend Wilson Road from the the Veterinary Clinical Center east to Hagadorn Road. This would be done in order to support the development of the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, or FRIB, a nuclear science facility run by MSU. Construction of the facility is currently in progress on MSU’s campus and is expected to be completed by 2020.

One of the most prevalent changes to Wilson Road will be the accessibility to I-96 via the Okemos Road interchange.

Other benefits of the road configuration include less traffic in the area and also improved service levels on nearby roads.

However, the project would eliminate 605 parking spaces, although over half of those would be replaced.

Share and discuss “City Council approves extension of Wilson Road to support FRIB ” on social media.