Monday, October 28, 2024

Student talent highlighted at UAB's Spartan Film Festival

<p>Students sit in seats and wait to watch a film Feb. 21, 2015, during the Spartan Film Festival at Wells Hall. Students walked the red carpet prior to viewing various films directed by students. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Students sit in seats and wait to watch a film Feb. 21, 2015, during the Spartan Film Festival at Wells Hall. Students walked the red carpet prior to viewing various films directed by students. Alice Kole/The State News

This year, the festival consisted of 26 submissions each lasting anywhere between 30 seconds and 15 minutes long.

Competing participants submitted films into their choice of category including comedy, documentary, drama, music video and thriller or action.

Winners of each category, chosen by UAB Films Committee, received a trophy and $20 in Spartan cash.

The most favored video, awarded best picture, received $50 in Spartan cash along with a trophy.

Neuroscience senior Kenchiro Kue created the music video “Rub Dat Belly” during his freshman year with a friend.

Three years and 6,000 YouTube views later, Kue received the comedy award at the Spartan Film Festival.

Kue and alumna Lucas Ball jokingly came up with the idea themselves and designed every element including instrumentals and lyrics.

Looking back on his YouTube channel, Kue said he witnessed an evolution of his films.

“I get to see the transition how I develop over the years, timeline on evolution of video,” Kue said.

Kue is currently working on more emotional and meaningful topics, including a new music video documentary titled “Mother Nature Rap.”

As a neuroscience major, Kue enjoys the creative escape filmmaking provides.

“It’s a big hobby,” Kue said, “I’m not going to give up anytime soon.”

Human biology junior Mercedes Yang attended the festival to support Kue and said she appreciates the unexpected diverse crowd the Spartan Film Festival attracts.

Several guests at the Spartan Film Festival attended to support and encourage the arts at MSU.

“It promotes the arts for everyone,” English junior Elizabeth Pittel said.

As an English student, Pittel enjoys looking deeper into the elements and themes that form a comprehensive film.

“I love dialog, I love criticizing films and dissecting them and seeing common themes,” Pittel said.

To read the rest of the story, visit statenews.com

With plans to continue the Spartan Film Festival, UAB films director and media and information and marketing sophomore Sydney Ouwinga has begun planning next year’s event to be more formal, and highlighting student involvement.

“It never hurts to submit films from classes or passion projects,” Ouwinga said. “If it’s 30 seconds to 15 minutes, submit it. It can’t hurt and you could win.”

Share and discuss “Student talent highlighted at UAB's Spartan Film Festival” on social media.