Online homework tool inefficient

WeBWorK, an online homework program for math classes, isn't worth the cost

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

For one, it costs $70 per semester, and no one gives you a heads up until you’re sitting in math on the first day of classes.

It would be one thing if this was a one-time fee, but having to pay every semester seems a tad much. Not to mention, this could potentially cause a financial burden on some students. At the very least, there should be some sort of notice sent out in the summer so financially strained students can figure something out.

Of course, I could understand the $70 fee if the program was fantastic, but that’s not the case.

In fact, WeBWorK is the polar opposite of user friendly. For example, if you want to type in the square root of 31, you need to type “sqrt(31).” This isn’t so bad on its own, but when combined with other numbers and symbols, an equation begins to look more like a sentence. For visual people, such as myself, it’s easy to get lost within this.

If I’m expected to pay $70 for a program, it should at least offer somewhat decent controls.

Also, assignments on WeBWorK have a “reduced credit period,” when after a certain time period the work counts as 75 percent of the original credit. I don’t understand the point of this. While it’s nice to have a longer time frame to do the work, I think it might be easier and simpler to do away with the reduced credit period.

My roommate uses an online homework program in her Math 116 class called WebAssign, and I’m infinitely jealous of her.

When you get a question wrong multiple times on WebAssign, it gives you help. With WeBWorK, sometimes it might feebly offer help in the form of an obvious hint, such as, “Use the distance formula.” Usually, though, it will just say, “Incorrect.”

Also, WebAssign features built-in buttons on each page, so instead of typing “sqrt” you can just click a button.

The code needed to access WebAssign is purchased with the class textbook, which my roommate says was altogether around $100. That was about the price of my math textbook alone.

WeBWorK could admittedly be a lot worse, but it could also be significantly better, especially considering students have to pay $70 for it each semester. With cheaper and more efficient options available, such as WebAssign, WeBWorK shouldn’t even be considered an option.

Share and discuss “Online homework tool inefficient” on social media.