Saturday, May 18, 2024

Letter: ASMSU urges Terri Lynn Land to debate on campus

When we are young, we are painted a bright and idealistic picture of our democracy. We’re told of how members of communities, states and our country come together to discuss issues and select representatives. These things are done sincerely, in the open, and with a mind toward civic interest and inclusiveness.

It is in that spirit that I am writing an open letter to Terri Lynn Land and her campaign for Michigan’s U.S. Senate seat.

For nearly three months, the MSU student government and partners in the university administration have been working hard to bring a televised debate between the two candidates for Senate to campus. Events like this are important opportunities for both our fellow students and voters across Michigan to hear candidates have real, honest discussions about issues that are important to our state and nation.

However, it appears that such a debate will not happen either at MSU or anywhere in Michigan. That is why I am writing to you today, Ms. Land. Over many months and dozens of attempted communications, your campaign has all but ignored us. Multiple interested parties and media outlets throughout the state have had similar experiences.

Despite this, you and members of your campaign have made public statements insinuating that you are interested in debates, in communication with potential debate partners, and have a debate team working on such decisions. I hope I am wrong, but I have not found this to be the case.

Now, I am not naive. I understand that a candidate’s first priority is to win the election, and I respect that. But we have an opportunity to take a small step toward better politics in our state. This fall, Michigan will elect a new senator for the first time in 20 years, as well as decide who is to serve as its governor. Despite these incredibly important decisions, it seems voters will not get the chance to hear any of their candidates openly discussing issues such as infrastructure, educational systems and military intervention abroad. That would be disappointing, and I think we would be worse off as a community for it.

It doesn’t have to be this way. We can chip away at the cynicism and disengagement that has come to be the norm in our politics. We can help to show a whole generation of voters that two candidates can disagree on issues respectfully and productively.

I am eager and hopeful to work with you. I believe that a partnership between MSU and the two candidates for the Senate could produce a valuable and empowering experience for voters, but time is running out. If we discussed these ideas and you decided that you would not be interested in debating, I understand that. But I believe we are at least owed the courtesy of meeting with you and your team to discuss such things, as would any potential constituent or business partner.

Please, I am urging you to contact us as soon as possible. If we can get any kind of response from you within a week’s time, I believe we can still do our part to serve the state. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing from you.

KC Perlberg is a senior and vice president for Governmental Affairs with the Associated Students of Michigan State University. Reach him at vpga@asmsu.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Letter: ASMSU urges Terri Lynn Land to debate on campus” on social media.