Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Field hockey picks up first road win of season over Saint Josephs in Washington, D.C.

As most of East Lansing was getting ready for the big football game in Eugene this afternoon, the MSU field hockey team (2-1 overall) was busy notching its first road win of the season. Facing the Saint Joseph’s Hawks in weather that reached the upper 90’s, the Spartans were able to win the game 4-2.

MSU went out and tried to set the pace right away and found success in doing it. In the sixth minute, senior forward Abby Barker scored her third goal in three games to give the Spartans an early lead.

After St. Joes was able to tie the game, junior Claire Johnson and senior Allie Ahern were able to take the MSU into the half with a 3-1 lead. Johnson grabbed a rebound in front of the net and made no mistake in converting the shot. Just under seven minutes later, Ahern took an impressive pass from Barker and found herself open in front of the net.

Coming out to start the second half, the Spartans found themselves with a penalty corner and Barker was on the receiving end again. With her second goal of the game, Barker claimed the seventh spot on MSU’s all-time scoring list.

The defense stood strong today, only allowing seven shots while the team generated nineteen of their own. The Spartans used a total of nineteen players today in an attempt to stay fresh in the heat.

MSU is back at it tomorrow as they take on American University at 12 p.m. ET.

Share and discuss “Field hockey picks up first road win of season over Saint Josephs in Washington, D.C.” on social media.