Monday, June 17, 2024

Field hockey fails to complete comeback bid against Penn State, loses Big Ten opener 2-1

<p>Sophomore midfielder Kristin Matula runs the ball down the field past Penn State forward/midfielder Taylor Herold Sept. 26, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans were defeated by the Nittany Lions, 2-1. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Sophomore midfielder Kristin Matula runs the ball down the field past Penn State forward/midfielder Taylor Herold Sept. 26, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans were defeated by the Nittany Lions, 2-1. Erin Hampton/The State News

MSU field hockey (5-3 overall, 1-1 Big Ten) opened their Big Ten home schedule on Friday afternoon against the reigning Big Ten champion Penn State (7-2 overall, 1-1 Big Ten). After surrendering a lead early in the game once again, MSU was unable to make it four comeback victories in a row and lost, 2-1.

The first half started off with both teams looking conservative in their attacks, but that didn’t last for  long. After PSU goalkeeper Kylie Licata kept the Spartans off the scoreboard with a couple early chances, the Nittany Lions were able to capitalize off of a few MSU mistakes.

Early in the 20th minute, PSU’s Natalie Buttinger was able to dribble the ball into the circle and get a shot off towards redshirt sophomore Sierra Patton. The ball got redirected in front of Patton and the awkward bounce happened too quickly for Patton to react in time.

Coming off the confidence of their first goal, PSU was able to double up on their lead less than two minutes later. Senior forward Casey Haegele took a pass from her teammate Carly Celkos and slid one in the bottom of the cage from the right side.

“We talk about the two minute rule,” head coach Helen Knull said. “Whether we’ve scored or they’ve scored, the two minutes after we want to gain possession and we want to get in our attacking twenty-five. Today, they scored two goals in two minutes, which is disappointing and it’s something that we kind of pride ourselves on. When you look back at the game, that was the difference maker for Penn State.”

It’s a trend that the team is trying to buck, but it marks the fourth straight game that MSU has surrendered a lead to start the game. Fortunately, the Spartans’ biggest strength this season has been their ability to come back in games that they trail.

Late in the first half, MSU got a much-needed goal from sophomore Kristin Matula. After making a nice move to enter the circle, Matula dribbled to the right side of the net and flipped the ball over a sprawling Licata. The goal came unassisted and was Matula’s first on the season.

“It was definitely a build-up off of a Penn State turnover and I got the ball on the edge of the circle,” Matula said of her goal. “I saw that the goalie was kind of leaning towards that way so then I just lifted it over her.”

That’s how the score would stay for the remainder of the first half and game. At the end of one, MSU held the advantage in shots 10-9, and Patton registered four saves on six shots on target.

MSU controlled much of the play in the second half, generating another nine shots and four penalty corners. If not for a great game from Licata, the Spartans might have sent this game to overtime. Licata finished with nine saves compared to Patton’s seven saves.

“There’s tactical things we have to improve on and it’ll be a different team on Sunday playing Maryland,” Knull said. “Our big thing is now recovery, mentally and physically, dropping this game. Dropping a hard loss to turn around and rebound on Sunday.”

Share and discuss “Field hockey fails to complete comeback bid against Penn State, loses Big Ten opener 2-1” on social media.