Monday, June 17, 2024

Abby Barker honored as Offensive Big Ten Player of the Week after strong road trip

<p>Senior forward Abby Barker fights for the ball past Maine midfielder Becca Paradee during a game against the University of Maine Aug. 31, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Black Bears, 5-4 in overtime. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News </p>

Senior forward Abby Barker fights for the ball past Maine midfielder Becca Paradee during a game against the University of Maine Aug. 31, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Black Bears, 5-4 in overtime. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Early in the season, there seemed to be a couple of trends that were forming for No. 16 MSU field hockey. Among them, the team consistently found themselves in overtime finishes and always wound up splitting weekend series.

This past weekend in Kent, Ohio, the Spartans were able to kick the one trend that means the most.

Although MSU did find itself in another overtime contest against Kent State on Saturday, they were able to come from behind and win the game 4-3 behind a game-winning goal from senior Becky Stiles . Then on Sunday the team put together a great performance and beat Richmond 6-1.

The weekend served as a great confidence boost as MSU opens up Big Ten play this weekend in Columbus against Ohio State.

“For us, it’s just confidence,” head coach Helen Knull said. “When you come off a winning weekend, especially two wins in a weekend, and then today Abby (Barker) getting Offensive Player of the Week, and Sierra (Patton) had a great weekend last weekend. Kendal Anderson , a freshman, stepping up and putting two goals in, I think these are all just positives for us moving forward.

“It helps just fuel you forward versus when you’ve had a loss, you’re coming back and it’s kind of ‘what if?’ she said.”

As Knull mentioned, senior forward Abby Barker was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week by the league on Tuesday. Barker recorded three goals and three assists in the two Spartan victories this weekend, pushing her career total 52 goals and 115 points. Her goals rank her fourth all-time at MSU and her point total is tied for fifth in program history.

As impressive and gaudy as those numbers are, Barker will be the first one to push the praise onto her teammates.

“As soon as I heard (about the honor), I was just thinking of my teammates,” Barker said. “Starting with Sierra in goal, all the way up through every single line ... and I’m the person in the right place at the right time to finish it in the cage. But it’s a reflection of the work our team has put in.”

For Barker and the rest of her teammates, all of their season goals still lie ahead of them. The first of those is winning the Big Ten championship, and that journey starts this Friday against OSU. While it may seem like this is the biggest game of the season so far, that’s just because these Spartans treat every game that way.

“Every single game, coming out giving it everything we’ve got,” Stiles said. “One of our goals is to ‘earn the jersey’ everyday. Whether that’s taking extra reps, or pushing your teammates in practice.”

MSU will look to “earn the jersey” once again on Friday at 3 p.m. as they head back to Ohio to take on the Buckeyes and kick off the Big Ten season.

Share and discuss “Abby Barker honored as Offensive Big Ten Player of the Week after strong road trip” on social media.