LETTER: Students need to take time to learn East Lansing ordinances

The unfortunate series of events on the night of Dec. 8 left many students unsatisfied and ripe with burning questions. But we haven’t considered the other side of the story. ELPD enacted the Disorderly Conduct Ordinance 26-52(31) - otherwise known as “Be or remain within 300 feet of a fire” to protect the public.

Yet many have expressed outrage with ELPD for the arrest of bystanders who only contributed to the civil disturbance by being present at the scene of the fire. Most of the arrested attendees may have not literally contributed to the flames, may have not known about the 300 feet ordinance, but also may have not considered the full extent of their presence on the disturbance itself and community as a whole.

It is important to put this situation into perspective - many of those who catalyzed the disturbance by igniting furniture were encouraged and protected by those who chose to stand by and watch. The crowd surrounding the fire fueled the situation as much as the upholstery fueled the flame.

These arrests were unfortunate, without a doubt, but not unwarranted. Bystanders allowed those actively responsible for the fire to melt into the crowd, many remaining nameless, and provided a human barrier that prevented police from protecting the public.

In terms of not knowing about the 300 feet ordinance, consider this analogy . A driver, minding his or her own business, is mesmerized by the beautiful weather on a warm afternoon. Distracted by the situation at hand, the driver mindlessly speeds past a school. Without realizing that he or she entered a ticketed speeding zone in close proximity to the school, the driver is startled back to reality by flashing red and blue lights approaching from behind.

Although an unintentional act, the explanation of “I didn’t know, I didn’t see the speed limit sign” does not let the driver off the hook. The driver sped through a school zone and threatened public safety.

Knowingly or unknowingly, it does not change the facts; the driver still broke the law. Not a malicious act by any standard, but the driver must still accept responsibility for speeding through a school zone and endangering the school’s students. Similarly, a bystander unaware of the 300 feet ordinance is still held accountable for his or her actions, or even presence, due to the threat towards public safety.

It is important to remember that the city we live in is not just populated by students, nor is it entirely comprised of long-term residents - rather, it is a shared space that should be respected by both parties. This respect must consider public and private property as well as the time the officers and officials devote to clean up senseless acts of student misconduct.

Let us treat East Lansing as we would treat our home communities. Let us respect the residents who are deeply invested in the community. Let us, as proud students and East Lansing residents contribute to our community in positive ways. Remember, we all live here.

Emily Hazel,

Dietetics senior and Community Relations Coalition intern,

hazelemi@msu.edu

Share and discuss “LETTER: Students need to take time to learn East Lansing ordinances” on social media.