Sunday, October 20, 2024

Jairus Jones out for season

Some players using bye week to heal injuries

<p>Junior linebacker Denicos Allen, 28, and junior safety Jairus Jones celebrate a recovered fumble during a game against Ohio State on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans recovered an Ohio State fumble. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior linebacker Denicos Allen, 28, and junior safety Jairus Jones celebrate a recovered fumble during a game against Ohio State on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans recovered an Ohio State fumble. Julia Nagy/The State News

Jairus Jones’ knee injury will keep him sidelined for the remaining of the season, head coach Mark Dantonio said before practice Thursday, implying the senior linebacker’s playing career at MSU likely has ended.

When Jones went down in the Spartans’ game at Notre Dame on Sept. 21 with what was described as a medial collateral ligament, or MCL injury, he was originally given a six-week timetable to recover.

MSU was hoping to have Jones available around the time it traveled to Nebraska on Nov. 16, but Dantonio announced Jones’ injury requires surgery, thus shutting the door on his return this fall.

“It’s been tough for Jairus, but he’s done a great job in the leadership area,” Dantonio said. “He’s an outstanding young man and he’s concentrating on graduating now at midseason. It’s too bad because he’s an outstanding player. He’s struggled a lot with injuries throughout (his career). He won’t get this year back because he’s already been redshirted in that capacity.”

Jones had 12 tackles, a pass breakup and two interceptions in his first year playing linebacker after converting from safety before the season. After a redshirt season in 2009 as a freshman, Jones missed eight games in 2011 with a torn Achilles and was injured for the final six games in 2012.

Dantonio estimated between 80 and 85 percent of his team would be taking advantage of the season’s second bye week by going home for the weekend. He also pointed out senior defensive tackle Tyler Hoover — who has been injured the past two games — and sophomore wide receiver Aaron Burbridge as a pair of players benefitting from the week off.

“I think he could have played some (against Michigan), but he wasn’t 100 percent so that was the main focus,” Dantonio said of Burbridge, who left mid-game against Purdue. “We need to get him 100 percent and he needs to start making plays for us. He’s a good football player but he’s been a little quiet lately.”

The former blue-chip recruit from Farmington Hills, Mich. lived up to the hype as a freshman, proving himself as a dynamic threat in the passing game. Due to injury and the reemergence of veterans such as junior Tony Lippett and senior Bennie Fowler have limited his opportunities. Burbridge has 146 yards on 17 catches this season — none for touchdowns yet.

The timing of the bye week allowed Dantonio to capitalize on the dismantling of U-M on the recruiting trail in addition to letting the emotions soak in a few extra hours. Soon, his focus will completely shift to Nebraska, MSU’s next opponent.

At 3:30 p.m. Saturday, though, Dantonio will “absolutely” be tuned in to ABC to see the Cornhuskers travel to U-M in a matchup with huge implications on the Legends Division standings — a rare opportunity for a head coach.

“I think you learn about a lot of things as you watch a football game,” Dantonio said. “With announcers, you learn things statistically, what their history has been. But we’re gonna watch that football game. … Yeah, I enjoy those, absolutely. Especially coming off a week where you win.”

Share and discuss “Jairus Jones out for season” on social media.