Sunday, October 6, 2024

Tricks and treats

Attendees and organizers at Lansing’s Trick or Treat on the Square event held Monday night talk about the community response to the event.

As stilt walkers and fire dancers paraded down Lansing’s South Washington Square, families draped in haunted garb and superhero attire, indulged in Halloween activities ?to kick off the sixth annual Trick-or-Treat on the Square.

The event, sponsored by a variety of businesses in downtown Lansing and the surrounding community, featured trick-or-treating, hayrides, face painting, strolling street performers, pumpkin bowling and other Halloween games.

The candy handed out to trick-or-treaters was donated by the Lansing-area Walmart, while Tim Hortons provided donuts ?and hot chocolate and Biggby supplied the coffee.

The city had a Halloween atmosphere thanks for the 14 businesses that participated in Spooky Storefronts, a decorating contest downtown.

Beginning in 2008 with only a few thousand attendees, this year’s event was one that Downtown lansing Inc. spokeswoman Cathleen Edgerly said should bring in about 20,000 or more people.

For the family-friendly event, Edgerly said each year Downtown Lansing Inc. aims to create a variety of activities for everyone to enjoy.

“This event really is a great one that brings together the entire community,” Edgerly said. “Families enjoy it, community members come together and volunteer, businesses get involved, there’s so many wonderful organizations that help make this event a reality.”

Share and discuss “Tricks and treats” on social media.