Monday, June 17, 2024

Take prompt from 'Spartan Super Heroes,' volunteer

Fall is upon us again, and we have a new viral marketing campaign in our midst. No, I am not talking about the “WTF MSU” campaign, but rather the promotional posters for Homecoming week.

The Homecoming theme this year is “Creating Spartan Super Heroes” a cheesy concept that plays off of the image of the heroic and victorious Spartan. As the publicity posters would have you believe, it is a time for each of us to consider what we contribute to our community.

There are — quite literally — hundreds of student organizations on campus, all run by dedicated students who are passionate enough about issues to get involved. Whether it is (my own) American Civil Liberties Union group, clubs celebrating faith or organizations based on common academic interests, we Spartans are involved in a lot of areas. There is one common theme: nearly all of these clubs offer some tangible service to the community that we live in.

I sit in a rather uncommon seat, as a Spartan who also is a part of the East Lansing city government. Appointed by the city council, I sit on the East Lansing Human Relations Commission, which was appointed to promote and guarantee that civic rights are protected for all who live, visit and work in our city.

We hear complaints from those who feel that they have had their rights denied, as well as from groups that feel more could be done by the city to support their goals to aid disadvantaged groups. Above all else, we try to understand what is needed to make East Lansing not just a good city to visit, but a truly wonderful place to live.

There are so many nonprofits and public interest groups that need volunteers, but many struggle to get by. It is a sad tale, and one that the commission hears often.

Because of the dangers of clichés, I refuse to say that “we can all be ‘Spartan Superheroes,’” but the sentiment still remains.

There are nearly 49,000 of us on campus on any given day, and we all balance busy schedules. I do not know the hectic life that you live, and I will not attempt to tell you to change your life; but all the same, I hope you will find it in your heart to give your time to a group that you feel strongly about.

If we all donated an hour during the week and another hour on the weekend, every week, to improving East Lansing and the quality of life of its residents, by the end of the calendar year, we would have donated about a million hours.

It is not required that some Herculean task be overcome, or that we break a back (or even break a sweat), but it really adds up.

One group that is in need is the East Lansing Prime Time Seniors’ Program that offers social, emotional and medical events to keep our senior citizens active. It is extremely reliant on volunteers; when program director Kelly Arndt came to visit the HRC, she especially stressed the benefits of student volunteers and the improved quality of living for the people who participate in the program.

Plus, while there truly is value in helping others, but from a purely self-interested perspective, it also looks great on a résumé.

I have chosen to give back by sitting on the Human Relations Commission, working with the ACLU, and to raise awareness for issues of importance. I challenge you to do the same.

Truly, giving back to the community around us is in the spirit of being a Spartan. As it is Homecoming week, I hope to end with the thought that this spirit is “super.”

Sasha Chemey is a member of the East Lansing Human Relations Commission. Reach him at chemeyal@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Take prompt from 'Spartan Super Heroes,' volunteer” on social media.