Sunday, October 20, 2024

MSU survives offensive struggles, beats Purdue

<p>Senior linebacker Denicos Allen runs into the end zone for a touchdown after picking up a fumble during the game against Purdue, Oct. 19, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Boilermarkers, 14-0. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior linebacker Denicos Allen runs into the end zone for a touchdown after picking up a fumble during the game against Purdue, Oct. 19, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Boilermarkers, 14-0. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Just when the Spartans began looking like a complete team, a potential Legends Division favorite, they struggled to put away a struggling Purdue team and the wave of uncertainty comes rushing back.

The MSU defense did the heavy lifting while its offense seemed to regress in a 14-0 win over the Boilermakers (1-6 overall, 0-3 Big Ten).

The Spartans (6-1, 3-0) scored on a 45-yard fumble recovery from senior linebacker Denicos Allen in the first half, and hung on to keep Purdue out of the end zone before redshirt freshman tight end Josiah Price scored on a trick play in the fourth quarter.

Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook threw for 107 yards and junior running back Jeremy Langford went over the century mark for the second straight game with 131 rushing yards. MSU managed just 294 total yards against the Big Ten’s worst defense.

Share and discuss “MSU survives offensive struggles, beats Purdue” on social media.