Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Olin officials recommend pre-college immunizations

There are no immunization requirements to attend MSU, but with students returning to campus this past week, the University Physician’s Office still recommends certain vaccinations for the sake of students’ health.

Many students have received immunizations before attending college, but they should know what vaccinations are available at the Olin Health Center, said Kathi Braunlich, communications manager for MSU Student Health Services.

“Most immunizations are available by appointment at the Allergy and Immunizations Clinic at Olin,” Braunlich said. “Chickenpox is the one we don’t carry, simply because we’ve found most students have either had the illness or already had the vaccine.”

Recommended vaccines include those for Hepatitis B, Meningococcus, Varicella, or commonly known as Chickenpox, Influenza, Hepatitis A and Human Papilloma Virus, or HPV. Hepatitis A and B, and HPV are diseases that can be sexually transmitted, and getting vaccinated before college can prevent disease and improve sexual health, according to the Michigan Department of Community Health, or MDCH.

MDCH recently began an effort to educate on the importance of getting the HPV vaccine to protect against cancer. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, among girls unvaccinated for HPV, 84 percent had a healthcare visit where they received a different vaccine, such as meningitis, but not HPV.

“It is concerning to see the rates of vaccination against HPV at these low levels compared with other vaccines, particularly because vaccinating teens and young adults now with this critical vaccine prevents them from getting different types of HPV related cancer in the future,” MDCH Chief Medical Executive Matthew Davis said in a release.

According to the State of Student Health, a National College Health Assessment survey of MSU students, only 32 percent of students were vaccinated against HPV in 2012.

Marketing freshman Joshua Boike said he thinks there should be more outreach about immunizations for students who are new to MSU.

“I’ve already had most of the recommended vaccinations because my parents arranged them for me,” Boike said. “When I applied, I saw it was heavily recommended, and it wasn’t a big deal to get it done. But for people who come here and are less fortunate, who may not have access to health care where they come from, they should know that it’s a service offered at their university.”

“I don’t think there’s enough education on the subject,” he said. “Kids who’ve left the nest for college need to know about immunizations, especially for the sake of sexual education.”

Braunlich said younger students who have previously relied on their parents can make their own choice to get certain vaccinations right on campus.

“Students may get the first shots of an immunization series at home, and they should know they can finish that series here,” she said. “There is a demand for vaccinations. We want students to be aware of their options.”

Share and discuss “Olin officials recommend pre-college immunizations” on social media.