Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Not the girl next door

There is no doubt at this age most of us are trying new things. We are all trying to figure out exactly who we are and who we will be in this society. Our time in college, as most say, is our golden years.

It’s a time for 18-22 year olds to experiment with new trends, fashion statements, music and activities. We have to find out what we like, dislike, what friends will stay and what friends we will have to let go. For some, it’s our time to experiment with the things our parents and role models have told us to stay away from.

It seems like every few decades new drugs are brought into our culture. Whether it’s cocaine, marijuana or ecstasy, young adults often are experimenting these illegal drugs with their friends.

Recently there’s been a new girl on the scene and her name is Molly. Molly popped up into our society a few years back, and she’s quickly gained her popularity among our generation. Molly is supposed to be fun, make you sweat and boy does she like to party.

For those of you who aren’t exactly following what I’m saying, Molly is a newer form of the drug ecstasy.

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, Molly is the powder or crystal form of MDMA, a chemical drug most commonly known for its use in the pressed pill ecstasy. Molly is supposedly a purer “molecular” version of MDMA, which in the past has been cut with everything from caffeine to various amphetamines. She has been traveling to music festivals across the nation for the past few years and when she is missing, everyone is “looking for Molly.”

Despite how innocent her name sounds and how much “safer” she is than her mother ecstasy, she actually is very dangerous and quite frankly, just an overall negative influence. Hip-hop stars claim they know her and Miley Cyrus is dancing with her. Molly is growing to be the drug of the decade among, and until this past Labor Day weekend, there had not been many widely known consequences for her actions.

This past weekend, on a island far far away in the big city of New York, Molly took two young lives through overdoses.

Electric Zoo is an electronic music festival where thousands of people from across the nation attended to see top disc jockeys excite the crowd, and of course, the new girl Molly was everywhere. She was well loved until she was the main cause of deaths and overdoses that ultimately ended the three-day festival a day early. Until this weekend, she didn’t receive much attention in many news outlets, but now if you search the web, she’s everywhere in the media.

Molly is dangerous and life threatening. She acts as a club drug after being inhaled, eaten or parachuted — folded into a tissue and swallowed — Molly ushers in euphoria. The MDMA floods users’ brains with serotonin, making them feel elated, empathic and full of energy but extremely dehydrated, which can lead to hyperthermia, electrolyte abnormalities, cardiac episodes, comas and death.

Back at MSU, it’s a new school year. People everywhere around campus are trying new things to have a great time. There will be parties, and I’m sure Molly make her appearance one way or another. She’s new, fun, and she even might give off the vibe of the girl next door — sweet with no danger. But don’t let her fool you.

She might be great to dance and party with, if you really like the people you hang out with and the music you listen to, Molly does not need to be brought into the picture.

She’s kind of like the friend that you know will constantly have a great time with but will eventually get you into a lot of risky trouble. Just give your life a little value and do your research on Molly before ever hanging out with her or save yourself the hassle all together and just stay away. She’s no good, and I’m sure your mother would not approve.

There’s plenty of reasons of why we are in college receiving a higher education, and it’d be a shame if Molly tied you down.

April Jones is the diversity reporter at State News. Reach her at ajones@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Not the girl next door” on social media.