Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Juggling school, work worthwhile

<p>Ellis</p>

Ellis

Eight-fifty a.m. Alarm sounds. Get up. At 9 a.m. the alarm sounds again. No really, get up! Make a few calls for future stories. Get dressed. Go to class at 10:20 a.m. Class again at 12:40 p.m. Then 3 p.m. rolls around. Yes, I can finally can take a break. Well, sort of. Do some homework, make a few more calls. Don’t forget to eat! Go to class at 5 p.m. Leave early for city council meeting at 7 p.m. On deadline story due at 9 p.m. Meeting ends at 10 p.m. I finally get home at 11 p.m. Must eat, must study. One a.m. Bed.

Being a State Newser and going to school full time is difficult. More difficult than I would have ever imagined. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.

When I first began working at The State News this past summer, it was a pivotal moment for me. It provided a sort of rush and excitement. A longed assiduity to crave my usual boring summer. But as that joy and excitement from summer reporting pushed me to reapply for the fall, and I quickly learned that The State News in the summer was nothing like The State News in the fall.

Although it was far from a cake walk, during the summer we only published two papers a week and I only took two online classes. Now a full-time student and publishing five papers a week, I’ve never been more stressed.

Sometimes I find myself reminiscing about the nonchalance of waking up for class then returning to my dorm room to take a nap.

However, the stress I acquire from working at The State News and going to school full-time is something I almost live for now.

No, I don’t see my friends as often, and no, I do not have time for a romantic relationship. But I truly believe that the sacrifices I’m making today will pay dividends in the future.

It’s hard and uncomfortable; however, I believe that being uncomfortable makes us strive harder and leads us on a path to achieving our goals.

When you want something badly enough in life certain things have to take a backseat to your dreams.

It’s difficult to miss family a gathering, your best friend’s birthday dinner and you’re little brother’s football games. I know these events are important, and it saddens me to say I missed these moments.

However, I think it would sadden and disappoint me and those who care about me even more if I didn’t wholeheartedly pursue what I love.

When you’re young you envision your future and it looks bright, perfect even. There’s a family, a husband, kids, a puppy and there’s you doing exactly what you love.

I’d like to think that all of these things are attainable; however, I fear there may come a time when I will have to choose which I would prefer. It seems I’ve already chosen what’s most important.

My biggest fear in life is turning 30, 40, 50 and not achieving what I have longed to achieve. I love working at The State News, and I’ve wanted to be a journalist since I was a child, so there’s no way this rush, this excitement, this sort of addiction to working, to gathering information, to telling a compelling story will fade or take a backseat to anything else.

I might regret this way of thinking. I might look back and read this 20 years from now, sitting alone with five cats and say, “What was I thinking?”

But right now, it feels right.

Ariel Ellis is East Lansing reporter at The State News. Reach her at aellis@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Juggling school, work worthwhile” on social media.