Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Spartan Stadium in 2nd quarter weather delay, MSU leads 7-0 against Western Michigan

<p>Attendees evacuate Spartan Stadium after severe weather caused lightning strikes in the area during the game against Western Michigan on Aug. 30, 2013. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Attendees evacuate Spartan Stadium after severe weather caused lightning strikes in the area during the game against Western Michigan on Aug. 30, 2013. Julia Nagy/The State News

As expected, the MSU defense outperformed its offensive counterparts through the first quarter and some change during Friday’s season-opener against Western Michigan. It even scored more points, too.

With 11:19 remaining in the first half, the Spartans and Broncos were sent to the locker room for a rain delay, though, with lightning visible north of Spartan Stadium.

Fans were asked to leave the stadium but some retreated to the concourse instead. Play can resume 30 minutes after a lightning strike, and MSU announced the players will return to the field at 10 p.m. assuming there are no further strikes.

Junior safety Kurtis Drummond nearly picked off Western Michigan quarterback Tyler Van Tubbergen’s first pass of the game, but the turnover was overturned after a review.

On the Broncos’ next possession, senior linebacker Jairus Jones picked off Van Tubbergen cleanly, and quickly lateraled it to a trailing Drummond who raced 21 yards for the score. After a kick from senior Kevin Muma, MSU had 7-0 lead with 6:27 left in the first quarter.

Senior quarterback Andrew Maxwell went six-for-nine passing in the first three possessions before sophomore Connor Cook got his shot. Cook stepped in and went two-for-six through the air for 16 yards while running for 10 more.

Share and discuss “Spartan Stadium in 2nd quarter weather delay, MSU leads 7-0 against Western Michigan” on social media.