Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Offense struggles, but MSU tops Broncos

<p>The Spartans celebrate their win against Western Michigan on Aug. 30, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Broncos 26-13. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

The Spartans celebrate their win against Western Michigan on Aug. 30, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Broncos 26-13. Julia Nagy/The State News

MSU kicked off its 2013 football season with a 26-13 win against visiting Western Michigan in a sloppy, rain-soaked contest under the lights at Spartan Stadium Friday night.

It was a rather uninspiring night for the Spartan offense, which was outscored 14-12 by the MSU defense.

Junior safety Kurtis Drummond scored MSU’s first touchdown of the season by taking the ball 21 yards to the house after senior linebacker Jairus Jones intercepted Western Michigan and lateraled it to him.

The Broncos struck quickly in the second quarter after a weather delay that lasted roughly an hour. Drummond gave up a big 45-yard pass down the sideline and shortly after Western Michigan tied the game at seven apiece on a 14-yard pass from backup quarterback Zach Terrell to Clark Mussman with 6:14 left in the half. The pass was Terrell’s first play of his career.

MSU led 13-7 at halftime following a touchdown from junior running back Jeremy Langford and a botched kick attempt.

A pair of field goals from senior kicker Kevin Muma put MSU up 19-7 in the third quarter. Junior defensive end Marcus Rush forced Terrell to fumble with 9:02 left in the game and sophomore defensive end Shilique Calhoun scooped it up and ran 16 yards for a score. It was the defense’s second touchdown of the day.

Western Michigan salvaged a late touchdown on another 14-yard pass from Terrell to receiver Corey Davis to put the score at 26-13 after a failed two-point conversion attempt.

Offensively, it wasn’t the dramatic turnaround from 2012 that many hoped for. Both senior Andrew Maxwell and sophomore Connor Cook showed potential, but going a combined 17-for-37 for 116 yards passing is not ideal.

Langford paced the ground attack with 20 rushes for 94 yards.

Share and discuss “Offense struggles, but MSU tops Broncos” on social media.