Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Three do's and don'ts for game attendance

Welcome back to the football hype, ladies and gentlemen. For those returning season ticket holders, you know your rundown by now. If this is your first time going to Spartan Stadium and possibly holding season tickets, let us help you figure out your schedule and routine on game days.

Following are three do’s and don’ts of attending MSU games, and trust me, I am putting you in good hands. My fan resume includes holding season tickets for the last three years, watching countless games (sometimes heartbreaking) and having a blood type of “S” positive.

So read up, enjoy and have a great time Friday night:

Do: Show up early for a couple games.

Is it a bummer rolling out of bed at 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning? You bet it is.

But is it worth getting to Spartan Stadium early to grab a seat within the first ten rows? Yes, yes and yes.

The fans closer to the field are the diehards, the vocal leaders and the people creating the electric atmosphere in Spartan Stadium.

The people near the top? A portion of them couldn’t even tell you the score of the game, and I am willing to bet my coveted Kirk Cousins jersey that a handful of them couldn’t name the opponent.

Speaking of Mr. Cousins, showing up early to a game gave me one of my finest memories on these grounds. My friends and I showed up four hours before kickoff for the 2011 Michigan game, and we got the tenth row of seats. Long story short, after the game Cousins ran up in the student section, and myself and troves of others hugged him in celebration, and every second of it was epic.

Ladies, if you get there early enough, Max Bullough might run in the student section, you will embrace, exchange phone numbers and then you will end up getting married and birthing five children. Who knows? But folks, even if that doesn’t happen, you will still have a blast in the out of control sea of green.

Do not: Show up without eating.

Getting to East Lansing’s football mecca early is important, but you have to grab a bite before you get there. Most dorm cafeterias are closed till noon, and sometimes you might feel too lazy to make breakfast, but please let me sound like your mother and tell you to eat your breakfast.

If you don’t, you will either be shafted with paying for a hotdog that costs as much as your econ textbook. If you’re like me, a cheap college student, and don’t like spending outrageous money on simple food, your first bite will likely be around 4 p.m.

Trust me, I have been at a game with my tank empty, and I came close to munching on the free MSUFCU rally towel.

Do: Watch the band walking into the stadium

If you happen to opt out of arriving early, or don’t have tickets at all, you have to watch the band walk the campus streets at least once. It’s not an option, it is an absolute must if you want to say you’ve ever done a game day right.

They march in from north campus, cross the bridge on Kalamazoo Street, finish their walk on Red Cedar Road and leave you with goose bumps.

Do not: Wear something other than green and white.

For the love of Sparty, please show team spirit.

MSU’s colors are green and white. Not “light blue V-neck,” or “pink hoodie from SBS.” Either wear the green student section shirt, find another green shirt or find a white article of clothing.

Do: Listen to the band

Too many times last year, the band would walk in and cue up their song that draws the “Go State” chant out of the bleachers. When they bend their knees, you scream the cheer to fill the greater Lansing area with a synchronized yell. When it works, it is chilling.

When it doesn’t work, however, it sounds like the most confused mob in a screaming match. Just look at the knees everyone, the knees.

Do not: Swear during chants

Watch your (bleeping) mouths.

As fun as it is to scream “One, two, three, first down (female dog synonym)” with your 20,000 classmates, let’s all remember there are kids at the game. And kids watching on TV. And just people in general that don’t want to hear our fan base sound like a mass of sailors.

Excuse me if I sound like Grandpa Matt, but let’s tone it down and try to keep it classy this year.

Matt Sheehan is the sports editor at The State News. He can be reached at matt.sheehan@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Three do's and don'ts for game attendance” on social media.