Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Cherish the present

<p>Hayhoe</p>

Hayhoe

May 2014.

A date that at one point seemed so far away is now about nine months in the future.

And with that date comes graduation and the promise (or possibility) of adulthood, and entering the ‘real’ world.

As school starts up again, the possibility of uncertainty at the end of the school year looms larger than ever before for May 2014 graduates, because for most of us, there isn’t the promise of returning to MSU for another year.

Along with the “real world” comes all sorts of adult expenses and the challenges of finding a job and a place to live — two things that it seems so many people struggle with right out of the gate.

Does that mean it’s better to start preparing for those times now, or wait later?

It’s a tricky concept to consider, and even with a long school year ahead of me, it seems like it’s quickly approaching.

The daily routines of Spartan football games and classes will change for those of us leaving school, and although it might seem far off to start thinking about, the concept of leaving behind Spartan Nation presents interesting issues for all of us.

Sure, some might end up heading right into graduate school or a job field with more secure opportunities than, for example, journalism, but there are certain things we all have to deal with.

For a good amount of us, attending school and working has been a significant amount of structure for the past four years, especially at MSU.

There’s a level of comfort to knowing campus inside and out, and a sense of security certainly isn’t something to want to leave.

Adjusting to a new city (or country) is something that many will have to do once they leave. With that being said, it’s wise to note that MSU does provide many worldly experiences and opportunities.

But it’s impossible to completely plan for the future, even with a wide range of experiences. And additionally, it’s tough to try and plan for many of those experiences when graduation is so far off.

Although thinking and planning for the future could in fact be a worthwhile experience.

Clearly, there are a lot of questions to consider when it comes to balancing senior year and balancing the oncoming professional world.

The future seems to approach quicker and quicker as the days fly by, so it’s a difficult balance.

At one end of the spectrum, it’s important to note that our daily routines of classes and Spartan football games won’t last forever. But at the other end of that same spectrum, so much of what we do in school is unique, and truly special. With a full year to think about that concept, it seems like it would make certain moments — like Friday’s season football kick-off — all the more special.

And given that, I’m all about living in the present, so I think for now, it’s best to do just that.

Some might say that starting to think about the future so early is counter-productive (“YOLO” seems to be the moniker of the current college generation, right?), but knowing that the class of 2014 only gets one full year left to make a mark on MSU actually makes it all the more special.

After all, there are only so many opportunities to do things like walk across the Red Cedar River in fall, or go to a Spartan football game against Michigan.

The same goes for that elusive goal that many students have of doing things like hitting every campus cafeteria or visiting every dorm, or taking “fun” electives, just because you can.

It also makes me want to cherish this final year and cross off as many items on my ‘bucket list’ as possible.

Being a Spartan has been a terrific experience, and it’s one that will continue in the future.

Coming to MSU has been an awesome opportunity, particularly with the opportunity to attend classes in the School of Journalism and gain professional internship experience thanks to classes, professors and connections to industry officials.

But it’s been about more than class experience, and this upcoming year will definitely center around as many “bucket list” items as much as classroom work itself.

Even with all that in mind, striking a balance between the upcoming professional world and college is a difficult idea to grasp.

The routines and structures of college life definitely differ from the professional world, and the contrast only grows bigger as time goes on.

College is a special time and place that exists within a pretty unique area, particularly on campus and around East Lansing as this school year starts.

The future right now is relatively unknown, even in the grand scheme of the upcoming semester. And beyond that, things are even murkier.

I do know MSU is an amazing university. I do know that I have one more year at this school. For now, that’s enough.

Beau Hayhoe is the Managing Editor of The State News. He can be reached at beau.hayhoe@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Cherish the present” on social media.