Friday, September 20, 2024

Take time to recognize legacy of MSU Safe Place’s McPherson

Every year, many women and children who find themselves in abusive relationships seek shelter, guidance and counseling at MSU Safe Place, the only domestic abuse shelter located on a college campus.

This resource would not be available if not for Joanne McPherson, the former MSU first lady, whose hard work, tenacity and vision led to the founding of Safe Place in 1994. (Her husband, M. Peter, was MSU president from 1993-2004)

We think of her now as she recuperates from a couple of health setbacks, including a stroke and, most recently, a heart attack suffered earlier this month. The good news: she is home, doing very well and expected to make a full recovery.

Many of you may not realize that it was Mrs. McPherson who garnered support from the university, local businesses and others to fund staff and programming, as well as establish endowment funds so that MSU Safe Place could continue offering free and confidential programs well beyond the time the McPhersons were at MSU.

Today, survivors take advantage of the many services offered by MSU Safe Place, including emergency shelter, transportation, safety planning, support groups, counseling and advocacy assistance.

In addition, scholarships are available for students struggling to stay in school despite domestic violence or stalking.

MSU Safe Place also provides volunteer and internship experiences that help prepare students for careers in human services, education, medicine, law and other fields. And it offers community education programs, programs that helps thousands each year learn the signs of an unhealthy relationship and what resources are there to help.

It was thanks to her connections, endless energy, vision and firm insistence that these services be provided, that MSU Safe Place was up and running barely a year into Mrs. McPherson’s tenure as first lady.

It’s at this time, as Mrs. McPherson recovers from her recent health issues, that we thank her for her vision and her extraordinary efforts that helped make MSU Safe Place a reality nearly 20 years ago. MSU is a safer place, and families torn apart by domestic abuse have the help they need, thanks to Joanne McPherson.

If you need help or want more information about MSU Safe Place, please visit our website at safeplace.msu.edu or email us at noabuse@msu.edu.

Holly Rosen, executive director of MSU Safe Place

Share and discuss “Take time to recognize legacy of MSU Safe Place’s McPherson” on social media.