Tuesday, September 24, 2024

New laws, legislation change 4/20 holiday

Weed, pot or reefer — whatever you call it, marijuana will be under the spotlight this coming weekend.

As the annual and unofficial “marijuana holiday” draws near, some marijuana users could be lighting up as usual, while others could be under tighter regulations.

Saturday marks the infamous 4/20, a day many celebrate by smoking marijuana. Following the legalization of the substance in Washington and Colorado, thousands are expected to attend celebrations in the states and other parts of the country.

Although Michigan allows marijuana for medical purposes — now with newer, stricter regulations — some believe a number of unregistered MSU students also might be smoking this weekend.

MSU Clery Crime and Fire Log does not suggest a particularly large climb in the number of marijuana related arrests since the legalization in other areas of the country, but documented arrests for marijuana use and possession went up between 2009 and 2011, according to arrest records from both the MSU and the East Lansing police departments.

Graduate student Brian Manata said he has tried smoking marijuana previously and although he prefers drinking beer, he knows a number of “potheads” who smoke frequently, and who sometimes get cranky and irritable when they don’t smoke.

“I don’t think it’s a problem — alcohol is just as bad,” Manata said of student marijuana use. “It’s only a matter of time before weed becomes legalized.”

Although police were unavailable to discuss any plans to curb substance use this weekend, the holiday still might be different for medical marijuana users in Michigan under legislation that took effect earlier this month.

Beginning April 1, Michigan law requires doctors to review the patient’s medical records and history, perform a face-to-face medical evaluation and assess their medical condition before a medical marijuana certificate can be given. Follow-up appointments also are required with patients to see if the medical marijuana is working to treat the illness.

Before these amendments were put into place, medical marijuana certificates were available through the phone or Internet, and lawmakers were concerned these certificates were being given out too liberally.

Ingham County has about 5,000 patients and about 2,000 caregivers, according to government records.

Brad Forrester, a caregiver and a program director of Michigan’s chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, sees the issues that might arise from these stricter laws, but does not think the effects will be substantial.

“I don’t know if I would call it a burden to the vast majority of the patients, (although it) might be a burden for some,” Forrester said.

“Some (patients) might be disabled and going in to a (doctor’s) visit is cumbersome and painful.”
State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said he is in favor of the changes recently put into place.

“The change in medical marijuana was needed very badly,” Jones said. “What we had was you would go on the internet, tell someone you had a pain, and then for $200-250 you would get the permit to get the card. Obviously this is very inappropriate.”

Medical marijuana was legalized in Michigan after voters approved the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act in 2008.

Share and discuss “New laws, legislation change 4/20 holiday” on social media.