Make Energy Transition Plan priority

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

Dear President Simon,

As you may know, I have been trying to schedule a meeting with you to propose changes in the Energy Transition Plan. I was let down when I was told I should speak with Vice President Bill Beekman instead.

If this is truly a priority of Michigan State University, I think it is necessary for you to meet with the students who are the most invested in this issue. I think it is great our university has recognized the importance of sustainability. However, hundreds of students and I see flaws in the current plan, and I would like to propose a few changes.

Our proposed changes include finishing the timeline to 100 percent clean and renewable energy with a date for when we will get to 100 percent, defining clean and renewable energy, revising the goals each year instead of every five years and addressing issues with biomass, which currently needs to be burned with coal, thus cannot be counted as clean and renewable energy.

I fear the current goals are too vague, have a lack of accountability and do not accurately reflect the urgency of this issue. The window of time to take action on climate change is shrinking more each day while people are literally dying from pollution from the mining of fossil fuels.

During spring break, I met so many beautiful people in the Appalachian Mountains, where much of MSU’s coal is mined. The lives of the Appalachians have been endangered by mountaintop removal coal mining. Each person I met could name loved ones who either have died or have serious health problems because of the air and water contamination.

Some children even have to wear dentures because the water has rotted their teeth.

There are so many reasons to support clean energy, and knowing that lives are being compromised because of our dirty energy demand has empowered me to fight for this cause even harder.

I understand the reason MSU originally built the coal and natural gas plant. It was the best decision MSU could have made at the time.

However, times are changing, technologies have improved and the truth is surfacing. The best decision that MSU can make as a socially responsible and leading university, as a research institution and with the values of sustainability is to take a much more aggressive initiative on clean and renewable energy.

I urge you to prioritize this conversation to discuss the proposed changes in the Energy Transition Plan. If you want to see a more sustainable campus.

I think it is very important that you meet with the ones who are passionately engaged in this issue.

Laura Drotar, MSU Greenpeace member

Share and discuss “Make Energy Transition Plan priority” on social media.