Friday, September 20, 2024

Soap: Friend or Foe

Currently, there is no scientific data to support the claim that antimicrobial compounds in household products such as soaps help prevent infection.

The FDA says at this time, the agency does not have evidence that a broad-spectrum antibacterial agent triclosan, found in antibacterial soaps and body washes provides any real benefit over washing with regular soap and water.

Recently it has been found that there are several mechanisms through which bacteria can develop resistance to triclosan. This is concerning because the increase in use of antibacterial products has doubled and could favor resistant strains.

This has made it more difficult for consumers to avoid using these products; presently 45 percent of soaps available to consumers contain antibacterial agents.

In fact, here at MSU all the soap dispensers contain a 1 percent triclosan solution. This high degree of antibacterial prevalence could increase the selection on skin bacteria.

According to evolutionary concepts, decreasing the uninhibited use of antibacterial soaps could increase selection against antibiotic resistance, reducing the rate at which antibiotic resistant strains occur.

Even though the widespread use of antibacterial products can lead to bacterial resistance, there are many ways to help combat this issue. Consumers can help reduce the spread of resistance by becoming educated about the harms of overusing antibacterial soaps, and begin a transition to traditional soaps. Students can get involved by voicing their concerns about the use of antibacterial soaps at MSU.

The elimination of these products will lead to a healthier student body, leaving more time to enjoy spring break.

Christina Kennedy zoology senior and Brianna Kubiak MSU alumna

Share and discuss “Soap: Friend or Foe” on social media.