Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Gym? Ain’t nobody got time for that

When classes become too long and studying too demanding, there are some simple ways to stay active without breaking the daily routine.

Jon Kermiet, Olin Student Health Center health educator and coordinator of LifeRx, said about 50 percent of MSU students said they had back pain in the last year, citing a survey of MSU students from his research.

“The reason is because they are sitting way too much,” Kermiet said.

He said it is important for students to move around during the day.

“The No. 1 excuse they give is that they don’t have the time, (but) when you look at it, it’s probably not a valid excuse,” Kermiet said. “If they can look at exercise in their daily routine as a priority, then they are more likely to do that.”

He said exercising will help students think and sleep better and be more alert during the day.

Students talked about ways they stay fit.

Below are some ways to stay active without making a trip to the gym.

Chores

Many students find inside and outside chores to be boring and a pain, but they also can be a workout opportunity, Kermiet said.

“For most people that’s not much fun and certainly not something they look forward to,” Kermiet said. “It’s important to remind people that any movement is good movement.”

Some chores that might burn up to 600 calories per hour include:

• Shoveling snow can burn between 400-600 calories per hour.
  • Major cleaning chores, including washing windows, turning mattresses and washing the car, might shed between 175-250 calories per hour.
  • Moderate house cleaning, such as mopping, laundry and vacuuming, can burn about 150-200 calories per hour.
  • Light house cleaning, including straightening up, dusting and taking out the trash, might burn about 120-170 calories per hour.

Staying active during school

Kermiet said many students spend most of their day sitting in class, eating and hunching over their computer.

Some ways students can stay active while on campus or studying include:

• Taking more than one trip to complete a task.
  • Setting a timer to go off every 50 minutes as a reminder to get up and walk around for about 10 minutes.
  • Using the stairs instead of an elevator, which Kermiet said he sees many students do on campus.
  • Walking or biking to class instead of driving or taking the bus. Take a longer route to class and walking faster also can burn calories, Kermiet said.
  • Parking far from the destination in the parking lot will force students to walk further.

Source: WebMD

Share and discuss “Gym? Ain’t nobody got time for that” on social media.