Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Women's basketball grinds out win in Merchant's return to Eastern Michigan

<p>Sophomore center Jasmine Hines, left, shoots over Eastern Michigan center India Hairston on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012 at the Convocation Center in Ypsilanti, Mich. The Spartans tied Eastern Michigan at the half, 28-28. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Sophomore center Jasmine Hines, left, shoots over Eastern Michigan center India Hairston on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012 at the Convocation Center in Ypsilanti, Mich. The Spartans tied Eastern Michigan at the half, 28-28. Julia Nagy/The State News

Ypsilanti, Mich. – It might have been a homecoming of sorts for MSU women’s basketball head coach Suzy Merchant, but it took the Spartans (2-0) more than 30 minutes before pulling away from Eastern Michigan and winning 60-49 Thursday night.

Junior guard Klarissa Bell led all scorers with a career-high 20 points, and senior guard Jasmine Thomas also had a solid game, scoring 13 points, grabbing seven rebounds and dishing out seven assists.

Neither team shot the ball particularly well, as the Spartans went 23 for 57 (40 percent) from the floor and EMU shot 20-64 (36 percent). MSU did shoot it well from beyond the 3-point arc, as they hit 44 percent of their long balls.

Sophomore forward Becca Mills had a strong game under the basket, grabbing 11 rebounds, and sophomore center Jasmine Hines added six rebounds to go along with her eight points.

The next time the Spartans will be in action is Sunday at 4 p.m. at Breslin Center against Virginia Tech.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball grinds out win in Merchant's return to Eastern Michigan” on social media.