Musical brings comic relief during rough voting season

In the wake of the first debate between President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, politics are on the forefront of many Spartans’ minds. To alleviate the tension, “The Capitol Steps,” a political comedy, had its debut at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Wharton Center.

Political satirists came straight from Washington, D.C., to perform in the musical. The show lasted about 90 minutes and incorporated about 35 songs and skits.

“Capitol Steps” co-writer Mark Eaton said it is the cast’s goal to take away some of the pressure associated with politics, especially during an election season.

“It’s fun during the election cycle,” he said. “You’ve got all these wonderfully wacky sets of characters.”

Founded in Washington, D.C., on Capitol Hill in 1981, Eaton said that the group has changed during the years, but every member has one thing in common with each other.

“I was always kind of the office wise guy, which makes up most of this group,” he said. “We just laugh at politics and politicians.”

Despite the goal of relief, the performance gets minds ticking in the audience, Eaton said.
“It’s very fast-paced,” he said. “Everybody needs to pay attention.”

Wharton Center Public Relations Manager Bob Hoffman said while it’s a quick-witted show, it doesn’t require vast political knowledge and is easy for everyone to understand.

“You’re going to have your students who are interested in politics and a cross-section of the community as well,” he said. “The great thing about a show like this is that it reaches everybody.”

“The Capitol Steps” casts about 25 actors in order to accommodate more than 500 shows annually.

Before each performance, the audience is assured that no political party will be picked on more than another. The show often depicts President Obama on stage with Romney, both taking equal heat.

“We sway right down the middle,” Eaton said.

The satirical skits also have the capability of informing the audience with knowledge that can be utilized in November’s voting booths. James Madison freshman Aaron Kuhn said Congress is more polarized than usual, so it’s especially essential for voters to be educated.

“Getting informed about the decisions you’re going to have to make in the voting booth is something everybody should do,” he said. “If satire is the way people get their news, even if it’s not the most credible, it’s better than nothing.”

In the end, Eaton said it’s important for people to remember that without the voters, politicians would be contributing to unemployment statistics.

“We seem to forget they’re our employees … and we expect results from them,” he said. “Sometimes they get a little high and mighty.”

Share and discuss “Musical brings comic relief during rough voting season” on social media.