Saturday, June 29, 2024

Decision to adopt pet changes life

<p>Bolen</p>

Bolen

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

Eight years ago, I rescued my beagle, Roscoe, from Last Chance Rescue in Howell, Mich. My family had always traveled far and wide to find breeders for dogs, so this time was really different. But I knew we were saving his life, so at that point, it didn’t really matter.

Looking back on that day, I realize it was the best decision my family ever made.

Not only did we add an amazing addition to our family, we also gave him a loving, permanent home.

Since adding Roscoe to our family, I have become a huge advocate for rescuing pets from animal shelters and encouraging others to give them a second chance.

The Capital Area Humane Society, 7095 W. Grand River Ave., in Lansing, shares my passion for finding pets new homes and has been doing so since 1936.

In his three years with the society, Director of Development Eric Langdon said adoptions have remained pretty steady, even with the bad economy.

“Over 220,000 animals enter shelters each year, so overpopulation is a huge issue,” Langdon said. “Since I have been here, we have always had a waiting list, and when space does open up, it is usually only for a moment.”

Langdon said there are many reasons pets are brought to the shelter, ranging anywhere from unfortunate economic situations to unwanted litters of puppies or kittens.

He also said some pet owners do not do enough research when looking into a certain type of dog, so they end up being unhappy with the breed.

“If more pet owners did research, there would be way less pets in shelters and more staying in loving homes,” Langdon said.

A lot of negative stigmas exist regarding shelter animals.

Before I added Roscoe to my family, I didn’t really know what to expect. I always assumed animals from shelters had huge problems or that there was something wrong with them. Roscoe proved to me that you can’t judge a book by its cover.

“A lot of people think shelter animals are bad animals or unhealthy animals, but that couldn’t be farther from the truth,” Langdon said.

Langdon said the Capital Area Humane Society has full-time veterinarians on staff to give vaccines and check on the animals. The society also has had a public spay and neuter clinic for more than 10 years, and in February 2011, it expanded to triple the clinic’s capacity.

A lot of animal shelters also are involved in charities and host events to raise awareness about shelter pets.

The Capital Area Humane Society is involved in PetSmart Charities Rescue Waggin’ program. This program relocates puppies from areas of high homeless-pet overpopulation, where they face nearly certain euthanasia, to shelters where adoptable dogs are in demand.

Langdon said the Capital Area Humane Society receives a truck full of puppies about every three weeks.

“Once we get the puppies, we have our vets check them over to make sure they are 100 percent healthy, and then we spay or neuter them if needed,” Langdon said.

“Once they are put up for adoption, they usually only stay in the shelter about five days before being adopted by an excited and loving family.”

The Capital Area Humane Society is determined to erase negative stigmas about shelters and increase knowledge of just how great adopting a pet can be.

I share the same passion and determination.

No matter where they come from, what they’ve experienced in life and what their future might hold, the pets from these shelters just want to find love in a permanent home.

I hate to think of what might have happened to my own pet if I had not stumbled upon him at Last Chance Rescue that day.

I am so thankful we added him to our family and can give him the love he deserves every single day.

As the holiday season is coming closer and you’re thinking about helping those less fortunate, don’t forget about the furry ones.

The only thing they want is love, and sometimes the best gift you can give is a second chance.

Paige Bolen is a guest columnist at The State News and a journalism and advertising senior. Reach her at bolenpai@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Decision to adopt pet changes life” on social media.