Diverse group celebrates day of peace

In light of the recent violence involving students, a little faith and peace might be just the thing some students need.

Students and Greater Lansing community members from all faiths and backgrounds gathered Thursday at University United Methodist Church, 1120 S. Harrison Road, to celebrate the 2012 International Day of Peace on Friday.

The MSU Campus Interfaith Council, the Shalom Center for Justice and Peace, 215 N. Capitol Ave., and the Wesley Foundation at MSU hosted “Voices of Faith and Reason: Commissioning Peace,” commemorating the day of peace.

“We live in a nation that prides itself on its freedom, equality and tolerance,” said Erin O’Connor, psychology senior and chair of the MSU Campus Interfaith Council, in an email. “However, so many people have experienced prejudice, discrimination and even hate crimes because of their ethnic or religious background. These events have occurred nationally, as well as locally at (MSU).”

Speakers from five faiths — humanism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Baha’ism — spoke about how their religious traditions encourage them to make peace or work toward peace daily.

During the event, speaker Shahid Nazrulla gave his views of peace from a humanist perspective.
“We all have common values, and we all have the desire to live in peace and follow out personal dreams,” Nazrulla said.

Penny Zago, chair of the guiding committee for the Shalom Center for Justice and Peace, said this event is important for both students and the community.

“We are part of something much larger than us,” Zago said. “(It’s an) opportunity to take a moment in our lives to remember peace (and) commit to peace.”

Share and discuss “Diverse group celebrates day of peace” on social media.