Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Added bike lanes ease problems

A new bike lane was added to the corner of Albert and Mac Avenues in this photo from Sunday, Spet. 9, 2012. This project was one of many new additions to East Lansing this year. James Ristau/The State News

For MSU Bikes Service Center manager Tim Potter, his commute to work can be a difficult one if there isn’t a bike lane.

Between sharing the road with motorists, who often yell at him for riding on the shoulder, to a couple of close calls with CATA buses, biking without a proper lane isn’t ideal.

“Bicyclists do venture out into riding in the road; it’s pretty scary,” Potter said. “A lot of motorists don’t understand rules … (you’re) legally allowed to ride on the roadway, but you get yelled to ride on the sidewalk.”

Because of the high number of residents and students who rely on their bikes as transportation, East Lansing officials are continuing to implement a nonmotorized transportation plan that includes adding bike lanes on main roads and widening sidewalks.

The entire plan, which at most could take 20 years to complete, includes major roads such as Trowbridge Road, Grand River Avenue and South Chandler Road past Chandler Crossings, according to a plan available online.

Most recently, the city added bike lanes on Albert Avenue, where the street was widened during a construction project this past summer.

City officials are focusing on improving major roadways for bicyclists and pedestrians to make it easier for students to get to campus.

“Many of the places (being redone) are major streets; it makes it easier to get to campus on your bike or on foot,” Todd Sneathen, director of public works, said. “We have a large pedestrian population in East Lansing, and we’re moving forward (with the plan) at a good pace.”

The next steps in the nonmotorized transportation plan will be executed next summer, when the city plans to widen Kalamazoo Street from Harrison Road to the East Lansing city limits.

In 2014, the city plans to do the same on Harrison Road between Saginaw and Lake Lansing roads.

MSU also attempted to ease this pressure by widening East and West Circle drives earlier this summer, as well as Chestnut Road, to allow for more pedestrian-friendly travel, said Potter, who gave the university advice on the improvements.

The addition of new bike lanes is a welcome change for human biology and premedical junior Blair Murphy, who finds making his way to class on his bike to be an intimidating task.

“It’s kind of (difficult) since there are people everywhere; you’re always dodging people,” Murphy said. “Especially going over bridges, you have to keep your balance and wait behind everyone … But if there’s a designated bike lane, I’d probably use it; I’d probably need to.”

Share and discuss “Added bike lanes ease problems” on social media.