Monday, October 21, 2024

Maxwell ready to take reins of starting quarterback position

For the first time since Oct. 10, 2009, someone not named Kirk Cousins will take the first snap of the game for MSU’s season opener against Boise State on Friday night.

After waiting in the reserves for three seasons, junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell is ready to take the reins and continue the success of his predecessor.

“It’s been a long process and a process where I’ve learned a lot. I’ve enjoyed the process,” he said. “Now that it’s finally here, it feels like game time, and I’m ready to go.” Maxwell was a standout quarterback at Midland High School, where he started 45 of 48 varsity games and was selected as an All-State special mention by the Associated Press in 2008.

The Midland, Mich., native said while he’s grown comfortable at the position, that wasn’t always the case.

Maxwell said when he first began playing football at 8 years old, his father encouraged him to play quarterback. However, he became frustrated by the lack of action a quarterback received at the peewee level, and switched to defense at the age of 11.

It wasn’t until his freshman year of high school that Maxwell returned to the position of quarterback — this time with much different results.

“Obviously, high school football is a very different game, and high school football is very different at the quarterback position,” he said. “I just like to be in command of the offense — being the guy in charge, being the guy who has the opportunity to make the plays that present themselves.”

Maxwell’s penchant for being a playmaker is something that isn’t lost on his teammates. During MSU’s media day, junior wide receiver Bennie Fowler complimented Maxwell’s poise, comparing the way he carries himself to Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

“He’s an exciting guy­; he likes to get excited, he likes the big plays and he likes to be perfect on everything, which is also a good thing coming out of a quarterback,” Fowler said.

Quarterbacks coach Dave Warner said he expects Maxwell to enter Friday’s game at the same level Cousins entered into 2011’s season opener against Youngstown State.

Warner said Maxwell’s three years to study under MSU’s winningest quarterback has helped him to grow in leaps and bounds that should only continue. He added Maxwell’s mobility allows him more room to make plays and keep defenses on their toes.

“When things break down or when things aren’t clear in the pass game, he can take off and get five or six yards,” he said. “(He) helps defenses understand they can’t just hang back and let him sit there.”

Although Maxwell’s athletic ability is indisputable, questions still linger outside the program about how he’ll handle the pressures that come with being the starting quarterback for the defending Big Ten Legends Division champions.

However, inside the program, there’s no doubt.

“I feel very good about him as a leader, which I think that’s what a quarterback first and foremost has to do. Before he can ever throw the ball, he has to lead and has to take control of a huddle,” head coach Mark Dantonio said.

Share and discuss “Maxwell ready to take reins of starting quarterback position” on social media.