Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Binge drinking can have poor career effects

Many students drink without realizing the effects alcohol has on health as well as careers. More and more employers are using social media sites and alcohol tests to screen employees. Photo Illustration by Adam Toolin/The State News

Editor’s note: This story has been changed to correctly describe a rite of passage.

In college, the shenanigans known as drinking can be a rite of passage, but the effects it can have on the body and career later in life can be devastating.

Associate director of career services Garth Motschenbacher said the way people document themselves today can be a problem when looking for a job.

“Over 85 percent of employers that visit this campus use social media as part of a background check,” Motschenbacher said. “There is active drug testing that goes into getting a job.”

He added that drinking as far as 48 hours before an interview can still show up in a test and that some employers, including the Department of Defense, put their applicants though a marathon of tests that put binge drinking out of the question for weeks.

Still, Motschenbacher said companies certainly understand that people of age can drink and it’s when those people go to extremes that problems happen.

“Everything in moderation,” he said. “We all have our moments, but you have to limit yourself and understand the moderation. The worst thing you can do is lie about it.”

Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Educator Becky Allen said Olin Heath Center doesn’t typically see students that are worried about long-term drinking problems.

“For most students, what we are mostly worried about are the short term effects,” Allen said. “For some students, all they need is some more education about how to manage their risk.”

Allen said trauma is the biggest problem they see, such as fighting, falling down, punching walls and getting alcohol poisoning.

She added most problems occur when blood alcohol content reaches .08 or higher, that could lead to DUIs.

According to Allen, alcohol has an effect on the mood of a person after a day of heavy drinking.

“The bottom line is alcohol is a depressive,” she said. “When you start out in a low emotional state, that’s when it can get bad.”

Sociology senior Eric Donovan, whose name has been changed to protect anonymity, said that he drinks because it’s relaxing, but knows when he’s taken it too far.

“(Going too far is) when … it gets the cops involved and makes people mad at you,” Donovan said.

Donovan said he feels safe when drinking and that his consumption doesn’t get bad until he hits a certain point.

“Most of the time when I’m drinking, since I’m in a frat, it’s all happening at my house,” Donovan said. “I tend to be more tolerant of people until I get to the point of being a mean drunk.”

One day, Donovan said he hopes to attend graduate school, get a doctorate degree and teach sociology at a school of higher learning and that he has noticed his drinking has gone down from his freshman year.

He added that he experiences depression after drinking, especially when he wastes the following day away.

“I get really bad hangovers,” he said. “I feel like s—- about myself the next day.”

Share and discuss “Binge drinking can have poor career effects” on social media.