Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Parks open up on Memorial Day; students go to relax

Memorial Day marks the opening weekend for many beaches across the county.

Pat Witte, park manager of Ingham County Parks, said it is a park tradition to open on Memorial Day and stay open until Labor Day and added that the process of getting the park ready to open is difficult.

“Memorial Day is always a challenge,” he said.

Witte said everything has to be set up and cleaned, in addition to training a new staff two weeks in advance of opening day.

He said the peak time at the park is about 2 p.m.

The parks open at 8 a.m. for vehicle access and closes one half hour after sunset each night.

“People are not allowed in the water after 8 p.m.,” he said.

Witte said Lake Lansing South features a new ADA-certified fishing dock that is wheelchair accessible and added the fishing opportunities at the park are excellent.

Witte, who has worked at parks for 20 years, said Lake Lansing prides itself on being a family friendly park.

Park ranger Tanner Price said he likes working at the park because he enjoys being outside.

Price said on busy days, like Memorial Day, they open up the grass by the park for overflow parking to accommodate the increased numbers.

He said the weeks before the opening of the park are hectic.

“It takes a lot of prep to get ready,” he said.

Price said he usually helps with getting people out of the park after it closes.

“There’s usually a group or two (that don’t want to leave),” he said.

Nursing senior Greg Morey is one of several students that use the park as a place to relax.

“There is soft grass and it’s warm,” he said.

After visiting the park, Morey said he was planning to go home for a cookout with his parents.

Naomi Huntley, a Lansing Community College student, came to the park with some friends and enjoyed her time by grilling hot dogs.

“It’s just a nice place,” she said.

Share and discuss “Parks open up on Memorial Day; students go to relax” on social media.