Friday, September 20, 2024

Students dance, compete at Sparty’s Spring Party

Medical technician junior Amber Suttorp gets a snow cone Saturday at Sparty's Spring Party held at the International Center, 427 North Shaw Lane. Activities of the spring party included a three-on-three basketball tournament, giveaways and inflatable games. Jaclyn McNeal/The State News

With DJ Kap Slap rocking at Sparty’s Spring Party, horticulture sophomore Colin Dick wasn’t afraid to bust it loose on the dance floor alongside dozens of fellow Spartans.

The 11th annual party was held at the International Center Saturday, hosted by the University Activities Board, the Student Alumni Foundation and the Residence Halls Association. It featured activities such as a bungee run, inflatable twister, and a caricaturist, and hundreds of students attended.

“The music is fun, everybody’s dancing and everyone’s in a good mood,” Dick said. “It’s good to have different things to do (on weekends).”

Political science senior Katie Nye spent part of her Saturday making shots with a Nerf basketball at the event.

After making a basket, she won a bottle of free Buffalo Wild Wings sauce.

“I liked getting the free goodies,” Nye said. “It’s a fun alternative for something other than going out.”

Advertising sophomore and UAB’s director of special events Rikki Jarvis said because of sponsors such as Buffalo Wild Wings, Fuze beverages, MSU Federal Credit Union and Lansing Urgent Care, the event was free to all students.

“It’s a great way to spread our name to college students,” said Julie Betterly, a medical assistant at Lansing Urgent Care. “(It’s a) great way for the students to get to interact with people.”

The UAB uses other means of fundraising and sponsorship to fund activities, such as free arts and crafts nights at the Union, throughout the year, Jarvis said.

For Dick, attending the event Saturday afternoon was an inexpensive way to spend his time before going out later that night.

“Being a college student, we don’t have a lot of money,” Dick said. “It’s nice to have events open to us that are free and fun.”

Originally planned to be held at Demonstration field, the event was moved into the International Center because of rain, Jarvis said.

“I love this event even more when it’s outside,” Jarvis said.

However, Jarvis said it still was a great time even though it was inside, and Sparty and Zeke the Wonder Dog made special appearances.

“It’s just like a big carnival,” Jarvis said. “It’s just a lot of fun.”

Share and discuss “Students dance, compete at Sparty’s Spring Party ” on social media.